Chapter 3

Dedicated to everyone who commented, voted, and fanned me!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!  Really, my inbox is flooded, but I'm just so happy!!!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  I really am abusing that phrase... but thank you guys!!!!!!

Chapter 3:

Nick POV

I studied the heartbroken girl in front of me, really, she couldn't have been older than 13, but there was something in her eyes that made her seem older than anyone I had ever seen.  Was she really even a rogue?  She didn't say she wasn't, but she really seemed harmless, unlike other rogues I had seen.  

Her head was buried in the pillow on the bed, her long black hair was strewn out everywhere.  Her bony back heaved with sobs that threatened to break my own heart.  In my entire life, I had never ever seen someone filled with such sadness and pain that it almost broke her cleanly in half.  I didn't know what to do to comfort her.

She only wants someone to lean on, My wolf whispered into my ear, Someone who'll be there for her, a friend.

How would you know that?  I replied back to my wolf, She's a rogue, she's dangerous.

My wolf chuckled, Oh, I think you're smarter enough to know that she's no threat.  Doesn't she remind you a little of Derek?  Think about it.

I studied the girl for a moment, thinking about what my wolf said.  Derek, whose family had been killed by rogues.  It was sad, really, how some rogues and hunters would team up and the fact that the rogues could easily kill someone of their own kind was just too painful for words.  But this girl... she was a rogue herself but there was just something different about her that I couldn't put my finger on.

Derek had lost so much, and if it wasn't for the pack, Derek would have nothing.  He would've gone crazy if it wasn't for everyone's comfort and Jenny's beautiful little smile.  Was this girl like that too?  Was she as broken as Derek?

Or was she more broken?

Hesitantly, I put a hand on this heartbroken girl's shoulder, feeling her stiffen under my touch before softly asking, "Hey, you okay?"

Ashlynn POV

"Hey, you okay?" is what the Alpha asked me.  I hadn't heard concern for me in such a long time.  Concern that ran so deep and true that it just made you tremble and shiver.  I turned around to face the Alpha and was surprised to see how sincere he was, his hand on my shoulder feeling weird and unfamiliar after not being touched gently in such a long time.  Who would handle trash with care?

"I..." I started before breaking into a new round of waterworks, my chest heaving with effort at how hard and big the sobs were, the pain that I had tried to hold back enveloping me into one big cocoon of hurt and rejection.  I felt so full of pain, hurt, betrayal, and rejection, but at the same time, I was empty.  Cold and empty.

"He didn't want me, nobody did," I cried out, curling into a small ball, "I'm nothing," The never ending tears poured out, and I just couldn't seem to stop the words from coming out, "I should have known, I should've known that he wouldn't want me!  But I didn't, and it was still there.  It had always been there, but now, I'm so cold, so empty.  It's gone and now, I feel so... so gone too, I have nothing now," I sobbed, my body trembling with pain.

"What did you have?" The Alpha asked me, his voice gentle and patient, but I ignored him as if he wasn't there at all.

I clutched my chest, breathing now too painful as waves of strong emotions drenched me, choking me and surrounding me tightly.  "It's gone," I whispered, finally realizing that I really was an empty shell now.