Chapter 22

Dedicated to anyone who laughs at least once a day.  :D

Chapter 22

Ashlynn POV

With a grumble, I shot out of the annoying halls of human high school, itching to go for a long and soothing run.  After joining the Shadowlight Pack, going to high school had been kind of hard for me.  Before, the high school I went to was for werewolves only, where wolves freely tumbled around in the school yards, and in Gym, we worked on our fighting and endurance skills. 

Here, we went to a high school with humans, so it was weird for me, seeing humans all around, sometimes a little too close for comfort.  I was used to humans, of course, I saw them everywhere.  But being friends with them was a little bit harder.  They reminded me too much of the hunters.  They reminded me that what they had, I lost.

They just reminded me too much of all the bad things that had happened me.

Nick's teasing voice jolted me back into the real world, "Dreaming about me?"

I rolled my eyes, "You wish,"

Nick smirked, "Sweetheart, my wishes always come true,"

I stuck my tongue out at the cheesy nickname that Nick sometimes called me.  It wasn't a constant thing, but every now and then, he would call me it.  The first time he called me it, he had paled, and his eyes had widened in shock.  Why?  I didn't know.

And I never asked.

Nick smiled at me, and I almost melted into a puddle of drool.  That smile never failed to do that to me.  He really was every girl's dream.  "Come on," He said softly, "Let's get you home so you can pack,"

The smile on my face faltered a little before it twitched and tried to right itself.  "Right," I muttered, my eyes breaking contact with Nick's and falling to the ground.

"Hey," Nick said softly, "I'm here,"

Tears made a shallow pool in the depths of my eyes as I attempted another smile, "I know,"

Nick took my hand in his, giving me a sweet smile I knew well.  We walked to his car and he took his hand out of mine and instead put a tight arm around my shoulders, plopping a light kiss on the side of my forehead.  I blushed as people from the high school walking  by let out 'Awww...'s and giggling.  Everyone from Harrison High knew who Nick was, even the humans.  He was like a saint there, and people literally worshipped the ground he walked on.  

Not only had he been captain and quarterback of the football team, he had been a straight A student who had the honor of being valedictorian.  Nick really was perfect in the eyes of many people, but I knew, as perfect as he seemed, he had his small flaws, which to me, only made him even more perfect.

Nick hustled me into the car, before getting in the car himself, flashing me another perfect pearly white smile before gunning the engine.  That's when the nerves started settling in.  I knew that there was still at least a couple of hours before I would really have to face my old pack again.  But every time... Every time I thought about the Sunmoon pack, the only thing that popped up in my mind was a pair of eyes.  

A pair of vivid electric blue eyes.

I could never get those eyes out of my head no matter where I went.  I knew that now I was with Nick, and I believed that I had moved on.  I truly did believe so.  

But for some reason, every now and then, that single pair of eyes would pop up in my head, and sometimes, it would just stay there.  For a long while.

Truthfully, deep down I knew why those eyes kept on popping up.  Deep down, I knew that I hadn't really moved on.  Deep down, I knew that I would never ever really move on.