Chapter 12

Dedicated to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Chapter 12

Ashlynn POV

I ran a quick hand through my damp hair, before jogging down the stairs for dinner.  I brushed past a loud and rowdy group of werewolves in the kitchen, and heard shouts and hoots.  Curious, I turned around to see what all the commotion was about.  

I couldn't see past all the tall and burly guys standing in front of me so I used that to my advantage.  Since I was pretty small, I slowly threaded my way through the crowd, getting pushed and jostled a couple of times by a few tough looking guys, but they instantly said sorry and asked if I was okay.  Wow, the people here were so... Kind.  And welcoming.  And sweet.  And a bunch of other compliments I could say, but it would probably take me forever.

Finally, I reached the front of the cheering crowd and saw two guys, both probably a little older than me.  And they looked exactly alike.  Every feature on their face, every part of their body, just everything.  There was nothing that could ever help me tell the difference between both of them.  I stared for a moment, taking in their absolutely similar features.

They both had dirty blond hair that fell smoothly against their forehead, twinkling bright brown eyes that sparkled with mischief, and a little smirk on their lips that seemed to be permanent.  I watched, my eyes wide as they shoved humongous burritos down their throat, before each one let out a loud belch, their belches even extremely alike.  They were so identical that it was almost creepy.

They continued on shoving the burritos down their throat, and then belching, the crowd cheering them on, and I could hear some of them yelling, "Go Jason!" while the other part of the crowd cheered, "Jake!  You can do this!"

It didn't take a genius to figure out that they were twins and that their names were Jason and Jake.  I felt a small smile creep onto my face as I watched the boys stuffing their mouths with gusto, both of them laughing every now and then and yelling at each other, "You're going down!" They really were twins, and close ones too, I could tell.

I slowly edged away from the loudness, digging my way out of the crowd.  I sighed and stretched my arms high over my head, smiling when my tense muscles loosened up a bit.  I quickly grabbed a plate, staring at all the choices that were lined up around me.  Finally, I just settled on some delicious looking chicken and mushroom alfredo, the white sauce on top thick and creamy.  I piled my plate high with the alfredo before grabbing a chocolate chip cookie and placing it on the edge of my plate. I was going to head back upstairs to eat in my room, but I paused.

I glanced around the kitchen, looking around to see if I could find what I wanted, my eyes lighting up when I saw a big black pot with a white creamy soup inside, steam wafting up from the top of it.  Clam chowder had always been Shay's favorite.  When she was younger, everytime Shay went over to her Dad's on the weekends, he would always make her clam chowder.  Shay told me that he always made clam chowder because that was the only thing he could make.  And then she would laugh at her dad's cooking skills, but I know that secretly, she loved it.  She loved that her dad worked so hard to make a simple meal for her. 

She loved everything about her dad.  They hadn't been too close since they didn't see each other often, but I know that the bond between them was strong, stronger than any bond I had ever seen between a father and a daughter.  

I felt tears pool in my eyes when I remembered the look on her face when she saw her father getting thrown against the tree.  Hard.  I could still hear her scream.  I could still feel the way the world turned fuzzy around me as I watched Shay throw herself onto her father.  I could still hear the desperate whispers that poured out of her mouth.  I could still remember the way her whole body shook when her heart broke into little pieces that blew away into the dark night air.  I could still remember her words that were repeated over and over again.  Over and over again.  Over and over again until her voice was hoarse and broken, just like the rest of her.