Realization

Shiro

He was talking to lance when he saw Allura talking to Matt. Every so often, Matt would sway on his spot or clutch his head. He walked toward Allura and Matt trying to investigate. He looked at Allura and noticed she had a wide smile and was trying to comfort Matt. She was holding Pidge gently and was slightly petting her hair. When Shiro came S he was telling Matt about how they had enough healing pods for both Pidge and Matt. He stood watching them until he noticed that Matt had tilted to the left and he wasn't catching himself. Shiro walked forward and steadied his friend. Matt looked at Shiro and he noticed Matt looked a lot more tired than he did in the lion. He might have just been keeping his gaurd up, but who knew how long it had been since the last time Matt slept? Shiro told Matt to go to sleep, and with little resistance, Matt fell unconscious and slumped, falling on Shiro. Allura's smile disappeared with a look of concern. "They both are in very bad condition. Pidge more than her sibling." Shiro shuddered. Matt had been in Galra prison for a long time now, but Pidge had only been there for 6 months. What did they do to her? "Matt has been Galra prison for a while now, but I don't know about Pidge." Allura looked down at the small body in her arms and rubbed her hand against her cheek. She took a deep breath and stood tall. "We have to take them to the healing pods." Shiro nodded and picked up Matt. They exited the room with the other paladins. "So where exactly was she?" Keith piped up. Keith had been more energetic since Pidge's arrival. Granted, everyone was energetic, but it was a nice change seeing Keith like this. Lance was beside him and scoffed. "She was in the same prison that Shiro went to genius." Keith let out a sharp exhale and glared at lance. "I meant, where in the prison. I know there are certain levels for certain prisoners. Which one was she in?" Shiro gulped. He knew if he told them that Pidge had come from the third level, they would find out about the torture she had been through. He didn't want them to worry too much. Heck, he was struggling to not drop everything and just watch Pidge. But he knew he couldn't do that. He was the leader and he had to stay levelheaded. He turned to tell Keith that he didn't remember which level, but he was interrupted by Allura gasping. He whipped his head around and saw Allura struggling to hold Pidge. He gave Matt to Hunk, and he ran to help Allura. Pidge was writhing around. She had a tense expression and she was shaking.
Nightmare.
He grabbed Pidge and set her on her feet. She leaned to the side but he quickly hugged her to prevent her fall. The others looked at him strangely, surprised at his reaction, but he ignored them and looked down at Pidge. She was still shaking, but she was no longer fidgeting. He pet her hair and felt her relax against his chest. "Pidge?" She slumped against him and he picked her up. Allura looked at him, half questioningly and half concerned. He felt his cheeks get a little warm. "Nightmare." He stated. The paladins looked relieved, but Allura only looked more concerned. She shook her head and took Matt from Hunk. "You all should get to your rooms. Me and Shiro will put our guests in the healing pods." The paladins nodded and walked off to their rooms. Allura started to fast walk toward the healing pods, but Shiro caught up to her with ease. "What's wrong with her nightmares?" He asked. Allura looked startled at Shiro's question, but she recovered. "She shouldn't be having nightmares. The exposure to the galra lights give the prisoners horrible nightmares, but now that she's exposed to normal light she shouldn't be having nightmares for two of your earth weeks." Allura explained. Shiro looked down at Pidge and felt his worry slowly squeezing through his defenses. "What could have cause her to have nightmares?" He asked, dreading the answer. They had entered the healing station. Allura walked up to the control panel and opened up two pods. She put Matt in and the door made a hiss as it closed. He did the same to Pidge and he leaned against the pod and looked at Allura. "Allura?" Allura tensed and let out a deep sigh.
"To go through a traumatic enough experience, that's it breaks through and stays with her forever."

Sorry guys! I did update a little late today cuz wattpad deleted this chapter. I tried rewriting it to the best of my ability. 😁.
I don't own voltron.
~Reha