Chapter 33: My Old Friend

"You promised." The voice whispered.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I never promised anyone anything." I argued softly, slowly inching back on the bed until I was against the wall.

"Ah, against the wall? Just like I was." My mouth went agape in confusion.

"Who are you?" I asked shakily.

"You don't know?" I shook my head, but not entirely sure if whoever is was could see it.

"Then I'll remind you." The doorknob to the main office began to shake.

"What?" I whispered, confused as I took a deep breath.

I slowly went over to the door and opened it, fully ready to backhand slap whoever it was across the face.

But I was met with a girl who I barely recognized.

"Was that you?" I asked slowly, my brows knitting in confusion.

She glared at me.

"I'm sorry. I don't remember anything." I apologized, smiling warmly.

"How? You left me there! You left me behind when you promised to come back for me!" The girl protested

I gripped the door handle and sighed.

"How old are you?" I asked curiously.

"You should already know!" I sighed.

"Name?" I asked.

"You should know that too!" I sighed deeper.

"Fine. Will you just not make trouble and follow me?" The girl gave me an accusing glare, but motioned for me to go.

I and her to Lalisa's room.

Where Dazai was.

I opened the door and peeked in. Lalisa was asleep and Dazai was sitting beside her reading a book. He looked up and smiled.

"Ah,Y/N. Did you know this story character is based off of a real person?" He asked in amazement.

I cleared my throat and motioned to the girl behind me. Dazai's expression melted.

"You?"

"What are you doing here?" The girl asked.

"Shouldn't you be on the streets or something?"

"Woah, did I miss something?" I shouted.

They both turned to me, both looking somewhat astonished.

"Do you not remember her? Did you—" Dazai trailed off.

"Did I what?" I asked impatiently

He continued, "Did you forget this universe entirely?"

"Wait what? How is that even possible?" The girl spat, annoyed.

"I don't know." He shrugged.

Lalisa began to stir and I brought a finger to my lips.

"Be quiet." I ordered, shushing both of them.

Dazai shook his head and tapped Lalisa's shoulder, sending her eyes fluttering open.

"She was already awake. So it's ok." Dazai explained.

I let out a sigh.

"Lalisa, if you're awake, just open your eyes and listen." I warned.

She rolled her eyes and nodded.

"Well. Continue. How do you know each other?" I asked. Dazai went quiet and looked at the ground.

"What, do you both not remember or something? Dazai and you were in the mafia! Isn't is obvious!" I looked at Dazai for confirmation. He nodded slightly.

"The mafia? Are you sure?" I asked, astonished.

"Of course! You both are getting on my nerves, Y'know. Not remembering all of this." The girl grumbled.

"Well what am I supposed to remember?! How about you tell me!" The girl slumped against a wall and sighed.

"My name. For example. We were partners and you couldn't even recognize me."

"Then how is possible I can't remember your name?" She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"My name is Jennie, ok! There, happy?" She spat, crossing her arms.

"Fine. Y/N, here's the lowdown. You and Dazai were mafia members. You and I were partners, about 4 years ago. We went on a mission. We got separated, you promised you'd come back. Cliche stuff. But you never did, then after you didn't come back, Dazai's friend died so he left he mafia, and I haven't seen him since. Does that do it?" Jennie finished.

I didn't say anything and looked at the floor.

"Wow. That's a lot." I said slowly.

"Yes." Jennie said, obviously annoyed at my obliviousness.

"Go to bed, Y/N. it's been a long day for the both of us." Dazai insisted.

I nodded.

"Don't let Jennie or Lalisa out of your sight." He nodded tiredly and waved me off.