Chapter 8

Sara's POV

"Sara, the shortest guy here is 6 foot. Do you really want to fight today?" 

 It was Thursday meaning that I'm streetfighting today. I haven't won as much money lately, I don't know why but I haven't been concentrating that much. I need to step up my game if I want to start putting more food on the table for Brady and me.

"I can do it, Aaron," I reassure, although I'm not sure who I'm reassuring more, Aaron or myself. Probably the latter. I start to wrap my wrists and hands up. "Don't worry about me, I'm a big girl now." I nudge his elbow playfully with mine as I skip to the poorly spray painted ring. 

 I go up to Rocko, the guy who organises these fights, telling him who I want to fight. The man I chose was tall, but lanky and stick like. He was pale and showed no trace of muscles. The blue basketball shorts he was wearing were holding on for dear life around his waist as his baggy white t-shirt was covering the waistband. Hopefully, I can use my shortness to win this fight.

He started walking into the circle with clear confidence as he held his head up high and took big steps, trying to make himself look taller than her already is. That wouldn't be necessary to my 5'0 foot tall figure.

After he took his sweet time getting into the red sprayed circle, he had to look down in order to meet my eyes to say, "Is this some sort of a joke?"

"Is this the first time you're coming here?" I ask.

"Yes, do midgets here normally fight?" He fires back.

"Oh, no wonder you're not shitting your pants right now. Explains a lot," I fuel, keeping my eyes at a deadly glare towards his.

"You see, I was gonna go easy on you, ya' little runt, but now I going to try my hardest to make sure that your flat ass won't even be able to get out of bed tomorrow just because of that snarky comment," He says as he pushes my shoulder back.

"Woah, woah, woah, guys! No fighting until we figure out how much money you guys wanna put in. Hey, Rick," Rocko says referring to my opponent, "Are you with anyone today?" He asks. Rocko always wants to make sure that the people fighting came here with friends, just in case they get seriously injured. Despite our two tap rule, (Which is a rule that if you can't take the fight anymore, then you tap twice on the group to surrender) some pretty brutal fights can still happen.

"Yea, I'm with Alex Kelley, man," The guy we now know is named Rick responds.

Alex... Now I'm really going to give this dude a hard time. 

"200," I blurt out, cutting off a slight silence that was made in between conversations. "200 dollars."

 I look around me to see that people were shocked, especially Aaron. It's not every day that people would put in 200 dollars for a fight, we're all broke as shit. I can't even put in 200 dollars for a fight, at the end of this I could either be broke or be buying myself a new dress, let's hope for the latter. 

"Alright, deal! 200," the idiot, Rick agrees.

He doesn't even know what's gonna hit him.

Well, obviously I am.. but like.. oh well, I'll just stop

"Alright ready? 3, 2, 1, fight!"

The fight started out strong, he got a couple hits in on me and I also got a couple of punches in along with some kicks. At this point, it was around 50/50 for who was going to win, we were both jumping on our toes, hyper with adrenaline. I have to do something to knock this guy out because honestly, I don't know how much longer I can stay like this. The lack of food in my system was starting to take a toll on me. I've been giving Brady my lunch since Monday because I don't have enough money to make him something.