Chapter Twenty Six

I sit up and look at Jamie. He's fast asleep. His hood is up over his head and his arm is rested over his stomach. He is such a precious individual. I move gently and quietly off of the bed and turn the television off. My mind feels like it is about to explode. I leave the bedroom quietly and head into the little living area.

I feel like im stuck in the middle of Jamie and Amelia. I feel like there is unfinished business between them and I personally don't want our child or myself being caught up with it. I sigh. This situation isn't going to get any easier. Infact, its going to get harder. Much harder. I grab my phone and scroll through my contacts till I get to my Mum. Is she someone who I should talk to right now? I shake my head. I tap Grace's number and it starts to ring.

After a few seconds of waiting she finally picks up.

"My dear sister! You are aware of the time arent you?" She yawns and I giggle. I actually completely forgot about the time difference

"Oops. Sorry Grace" I giggle " I just need somebody to talk too who isnt Mum" I murmur. I hear her moving around and a door shut.

"Whats wrong?" She asks. I can hear the panic in her voice.

"Don't worry, im safe and Im okay. Im just confused. Very confused" I can feel my eyes filling up. Why am I upset?

"Dakota, whats going on? Tell me." She waits for me to answer and I hear her sigh

"Im pregnant Grace." I whisper

"What!? Since when!?" She screams quietly and I cant help but smile.

"Im 4 weeks, I found out the other week." I tell her, I start to fiddle with my shorts

"Dakota, you're going to be a Mum, thats a good thing right? Why are you confused? Whats the confusing bit?" She sounds a little baffled

"Jamie went to see Amelia today, he told her about the baby and we had agreed not to say anything until I was twelve weeks. He then comes home and tells me he wants to go for full custody of the girls. I just feel like I dont have a say and I feel like they have unfinished business. What if we rushed into this Grace? Im scared. Im scared me and the baby will be caught up in his drama and that isnt fair on any of us." I sniffle and hold back my tears.

"Oh sis, Instead of bottling it all up and acting like nothing is bothering you. You need to speak to him, maybe speak to Millie? She isn't a nasty person and she is an adult. Surely you will all be able to have an adult conversation without any kick offs. Jamie is in a sticky situation, he wants his kids with him all the time. Thats something to admire Dak." I hear her sit down and slurp. Im assuming its a drink.

"I just feel so alone in this. I know Im not because Jamie is great. Hes perfect. I can't explain it without sounding selfish" I shrug to myself and the line goes quiet.

"Why dont you come home for abit? Have some time away from it all. See us lot and have some fun. Jamie can come too if thats what you want but I think you need some time away to think about things and think about what you are going to do. You have to put yourself first Dakota. Always remember that." I smile at her words and look to the balcony. The sky is beautiful and the world is still spinning and people are going about their day.

"Yeah, I might just do that. Thankyou so much Grace. I love you so much" We exchange goodbyes and I leave her and let her go back to sleep. I pull my feet up on the sofa and bring them up to my chest.

My childhood was fairly good despite my Mum and Dad splitting. I lived with my Mum but I saw my Dad all the time. They have a beautiful friendship still and that is something I admire in them both. They are adults and they act like that. They prove all that bullshit of you cant be friends after a relationship wrong. I want Jamie and Millie to be like them. That way everybody is happy and the girls will be even more happy. That is who this is about and that is who needs protecting. Id hate for the girls to grow up without a Dad or a Mum.