Chapter Twenty Eight

Jamies POV
The drive back to the hotel is relaxing. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I can focus on the future, the future for me, Dakota and my kids. Everything is slowly and steadily fitting into place. I smile.

I pull into the carpark and head up to our room. I open the door and shut it with my foot.

"Dakota, I got us some pancakes!" I shout through. I set them out on the table and grab the orange juice from the bag.

"Dakota! Cmon it'll get cold!" I call out again. What is she doing? I rest the forks on the plates and make my way into the bedroom. Its empty. The bed has been tidied, theres no clothes on the floor.

I quickly walk to the wardrobe and open both doors. Her stuff. Its gone. All of it is gone. Fuck. I didn't think she meant it. I didnt know she was actually going back to America. I edge back and sit on the end of the bed. I rest my head in my hands. I shake it and lie back. The one woman I needed I have managed to push away. I didn't have to worry about her pushing me away, it was me pushing her away.

Flashbacks of everything we have been through start to overtake my brain. Its all im thinking about. The night on the beach and how mad she got when I dropped her in the water. The little fight we had and I just had to grab her and kiss her to shut her up. Everything with her is perfect. Shes the sunshine to my grey and rainy day. She's the reason I have been smiling and I have disregarded that because I have been so caught up in other things.

I grab my phone and immediately ring my Dad. There is noone else I can talk to, I need him to guide me in the right direction.

"Jamie? Im in a meeting Whats wrong?" His voice relaxes me a little

"Dad, ive messed up. Ive really messed up" I hold back my tears and I hear him move around.

"Son, whats wrong?" He asks, I can hear the fear in his voice

"Dakota, shes gone back to America. She didnt even say goodbye." I whisper. Its barely even a whisper. Im focusing on not crying.

"Jamie, whats happened? Why has she gone back?" He asks again. I shrug and shake my head.

"I wasn't paying her attention, Ive been going round to Mine.. well Amelias to see the kids. Its all Ive been talking about, I told her.." i trail off. My Dad doesnt know.

"Told her what? Spit it out Jamie!" His voice goes a little higher and his accent is harsh

"Dakota is pregnant Dad. We weren't going to say anything until 12 weeks but I told Amelia. I told her before anyone else." I mutter. He sighs down the phone and it goes quiet for abit.

"Why?" He breaks the silence and he sounds alot calmer than before.

"I dont know. I guess it was my way of showing her I have moved on. I was being selfish. Its only really clicking now. At the time I didnt know, I want her to know Im happy so she can move on with her life" I stutter a little and I sit up.

"Jamie, yours and Dakotas business is nobody elses. Imagine how hurt Dakota would have been knowing that your ex wife was the first to find out. Its her first baby, its big for her, exciting. She would have wanted to tell her family, our family together. Dakota is a very smart and understanding woman. She knows you have Dulcie and Elva, she would never get jealous or mad at the fact you went to see them." My Dads voice stays calm. Its making me relax a lot more and stopping me from panicking.

"I know, she loves the girls just as much as me. I told Amelia I wanted custody today. Ive been going on about it none stop with Dakota. I havent even given our unborn child or her a second thought" I lie back again and switch my phone to my right hand.

"Jamie. You ultimately have made her feel a wee bit pushed out. Imagine it was Dakota talking about her ex with you nonestop. How would you feel? You would be a little annoyed. Upset even. You say you want a future with this woman but all you are doing is causing unnecessary drama and bringing up old things from the past. You told me you were scared of her pushing you away. Jamie, the only person pushing people away is you." My Dads words make me think. Think back to everything. These past few days, I havent asked how Dakota is, how she is feeling. Its been none stop about me. Im not bigheaded nor am I a selfless man.

"Im sorry Dad" I whisper. I wipe my eyes before any tears escape

"It isnt me you need to be apologising to son. You have alot to think about. Remember this is Dakotas first child. This will be your third. Shes going through something you have been through twice already. Its new to her. She will be emotional and need some extra care and love. Thats what we do, that what us men are there for. Protection, loyalty and love. You'll sort it out. I know you will. I really have to go, this meeting is important. Ill catch up with you soon. Jamie, don't fuck up anymore okay? We both know you are better than this" The line goes dead and I drop my phone onto my chest.

Amelia leaves for tour in two weeks. In two weeks I know Dakota and I have a scan for the baby. In two weeks I will have the girls with me. No doubt Dakota has switched the scan to be done in America. It makes sense. This is all so messy and I only have myself to blame.

I grab my phone and again and pull up Dakota from my contacts. I need to tell her how sorry I am and that I am going to put it right.

"My beautiful Dakota.
Im so sorry. I have been an ass. A selfish ass. I know you're scared and emotional. I know you need me more than ever right now. Ive been a dick, I havent been there for you, havent asked how you are or how you feel. Im sorry. I really do love you and I know we can make this work. Together we can make this work. We can build a proper relationship, build a real family together. I want all of this with you baby. I hope you have a safe flight back to LA. Don't worry, ill be coming out there as soon as I can. I miss you and I need to apologise properly. Please don't be mad at me. It pains me to even think about upsetting you. You know I never meant to, I didnt intend on it neither. I love you so much Dakota.
Yours Jx"
I click send and watch it pop up on my screen. The delivered sign doesnt appear. Of course, she is on a plane. I need to pack. I grab my clothes from my side of the bed and stuff them into my suitcase.

Dakotas POV
Im woken by an assistant. I let my eyes adjust to the light and stretch. I sit up and yawn. I look around. My long flight has come to an end. I am escorted off the plane and through security pretty quickly. La paps are always the worst to deal with. Im glad I have Phil with me. He has worked with me before, mainly for the fifty shades premieres and when we were shooting.

"Ill get your bags Miss Johnson. Go straight to the car." Phil nods and I make my way to the exit. Its really busy and I manage to get through everything at a fast pace.

I get into the car and take a deep breath. The lights from the camera are blinding, even when in the car.

"Never gets easy does it?" The driver says. He fastens his seatbelt and I do the same.

"Never!"  I chuckle and sit back. I pull my phone out and Im surprised to see a text from Jamie. I slide across and open it. Wow. Its huge! I start to read it and can already feel myself welling up.

"I want all of this with you baby. I hope you have a safe flight back to LA. Don't worry, ill be coming out there as soon as I can. I miss you and I need to apologise properly. Please don't be mad at me. It pains me to even think about upsetting you. You know I never meant to, I didnt intend on it neither. I love you so much Dakota.
Yours Jx"

I feel tears roll down my cheeks. I know he didnt mean to hurt me and I know his girls come before anything. I lean my head against the window and set my phone down on my lap. I hate how complicated this all is. I just wish I had never left so I could be with him right now. Cuddling. Kissing. In eachothers arms. Hes such a beautiful and loving soul. All he wants is the best for his children. He doesnt want to hurt anyone ever.

Phil gets in the passenger side and the driver starts up the engine and exits the car space. We hit traffic immediately and I cant help but think of Jamie. I couldn't ever imagine coming back to a hotel that I know he was at and find him gone. Ive probably hurt him just as much. I shake my head to try and erase the thoughts from my mind.

"You're back! Come straight home sis." Grace really doesn't miss anything. Shes smart. I can't wait to see her. I cant wait to see my family. I also cant wait to tell them about the baby.