8: It's cuter than I expected...your dimple embedded smile that is.

Shizuka was not a shy person.

Because of her insatiable desire to be the best in as many areas as possible, she had participated in various competitions ever since she was a young child. Since her parents were fairly easy-going, they never pushed her to do anything she didn't want to and let her sign up for whatever she wanted. Although her areas of interest narrowed as she got older, Shizuka still liked being first whenever she did participate in something.

Through these efforts, Shizuka was seldom nervous or timid in her interactions with strangers. The one exception was Semi Madoka. For some reason, in front of Madoka, Shizuka, always felt a jumpy. Shizuka had assumed that this was due to the fact that, for the first time ever, she was confronting someone who was truly superior to her in all aspects.

Therefore, she had made a resolve to defeat Madoka. She hoped that by doing so, she'd be able to ease her unsettled heart. Unfortunately, this was easier said than done because Madoka effortlessly outshone Shizuka in all areas. Thus, Shizuka had never been able to be composed in her dealings with him. However, now, with her mind firmly made up and her goal within reach, Shizuka could start being her usual self in front of Madoka.

Seeing that Madoka didn't look shocked anymore but still wasn't responding, Shizuka wasn't quite sure what she should do, so she decided to reiterate. In a more steady voice she once again earnestly requested, "Please fall in love with me."

Instead of replying, Madoka moved closer to Shizuka and lifted a hand to touch Shizuka's cheek gently with the back of his hand.

Shizuka flinched as she had not expected him to make physical contact, but realizing that he seemed to be confirming something for himself, she didn't pull away.

With his hand still on her cheek, and in a voice so soft that she almost didn't catch it, Madoka said, "You're definitely real."

Shizuka blinked slowly. "You know, you've been saying that since earlier but why wouldn't I be real?"

Madoka withdrew his hand and stared at her expressionlessly. After a few seconds he asked, "So are you saying you want to date me?"

Shizuka wasn't quite sure how to respond to this. It's not so much that I want to date you as I want to make you fall in with me and expose your weaknesses. But if I told you that, you probably wouldn't date me.

Eventually, she decided that being vague was the best course of action to take in this situation so she replied with, "More or less."

"Is that why you've been acting strangely and your friends have been following me around these past few days?"

Crap, he knew.

A sheepish look emerged on Shizuka's face, knowing that denying it at this time would be pointless, she simply answered, "Yes."

Madoka continued staring at Shizuka and then after another long moment of silence, he tilted his head slightly and demurred, "What if I said no?"

Shizuka made a blank face. I kind of didn't think I'd even get this to this point but I've come too far to give up now!

"Then I'll ask you again tomorrow!" she declared without wavering.

"If I still say no?"

"Well...then I'll ask the next day and the day after that and the day after that!...I'll ask everyday until your reply changes!"

Ah, but this is our last year.

"Though I hope that you'll agree sooner rather than later, since we do have a bit of a time constraint," Shizuka added after a pause.