39: Are you not a fan of the maid concept?

On the first day of the culture festival, it seemed as if the entire school was in high spirits.

Because Shizuka didn't want to dampen the atmosphere with her worries regarding the culprit, she decided that she had to maintain a carefree and excited front for the duration of the festival while inwardly remaining vigilant.

As the play wasn't scheduled to start until noon and most of the preparatory work had been completed, Madoka suggested for the two of them to walk around the festival together.

Shizuka nodded. "That sounds good to me."

"Where should we go?" 

"Hm, since Fu-chan's class is right next door, why don't we stop by there first?"

"Alright."

When they walked through the entrance of 3-B's animal themed maid and butler cafe, Shizuka scanned the room for Fuyuki and spotted her friend towards the back of the classroom in a maid costume and a sheep ears headband. The notebook and pencil in her hand made it evident that she had been taking orders.

Sensing a pair of eyes on her, Fuyuki instinctively turned around. When she caught sight of Shizuka and Madoka, she broke out into a wide smile and gestured for them to come inside.

"Wow, they're pretty busy here," noted Shizuka once they had been seated. "I guess everyone's really into the whole animal ears thing."

Madoka gave a vaguely disinterested nod as he looked over the menu. "Yeah, seems like it."

His indifference to his surroundings made Shizuka's lips quirk up in a half smile. "Animal ears aren't your thing, Madoka? Or are you not a fan of the maid concept?"

Madoka glanced up at her for a second before looking back down at the menu. "Hm, it's more like I just don't see the point in staring at girls who aren't you."

Shizuka's smile faltered at his direct words. This smooth evil-doer...

Not noticing Shizuka's reaction, he continued, "If it was you in a maid costume and animal ears, I'd definitely stare as you'd surely be cute."

Shizuka hid her blushing face with the menu. "I can't listen to this anymore. You're so embarrassing!"

It was then that Fuyuki appeared by their table. "Yo, lovebirds, have you decided on your order yet?"

Madoka nodded. "I know what I want. What about you, Shizuka?"

"Uh, just give me another second. I'm still looking."

Fuyuki grinned as she rested her elbows on Shizuka's head. "This is unusual. Don't you usually order right away, Shii-chan? Could it be? Were you perhaps so distracted by a certain someone that couldn't figure out what to order?"

Shizuka made a face as pinched her friend's arm, hard.

Fuyuki let out a small yelp. "Shii-chan~~you can't treat me like this! I'm just an innocent sheep-chan~~ This is animal abuse!"

"You, an innocent sheep?" Shizuka pinched her friend again. "Please. You're nothing but a wolf in sheep's clothing. Literally."