Chapter Ten

Amanda

Rose and I entered the classroom as the first bell rang. We slipped into adjacent seats before the teacher noticed me.

"Ah, our new student." I looked up. "Amanda Grace, would you care to introduce yourself?" I carefully stood up.

"Hi, I'm Amanda." I said awkwardly. I had no idea what to say.

"Well, tell us about yourself. What do you like doing?" Mrs. Elliot was looking at me expectantly.

"Um, I like music, I play a few instruments, and I sing." She nodded at me and I quickly sat down, my face flushed slightly.

"Welcome to Palms. Now, class, take out your notebooks, we are starting our new unit on angles..." I sighed and began taking notes. Math is definitely not my favorite subject.

As Rose and I walked out of Mrs. Elliot's class, I felt someone shove me into a locker. My arm collided with the door and I felt a stab of pain in my arm as I surveyed the girl who had pushed me. She had light brown hair pulled away from her makeup-caked face, which was staring coldly at me.

"What do you think you're doing here, emo?" She reminded me of Natalie.

"I go to school here. Do you have a problem with that?" My answer surprised her.

Her eyes narrowed. "This is my school. Don't you dare insult me." I refrained from pointing out that I hadn't, all I had done was patronize her, but that probably wouldn't help the situation.

She rolled her eyes at me and nodded at one of the boys trailing her. They acted as her bodyguards, and were probably twice my size, if not more. He lumbered forward and punched me in the face. My head snapped backwards, and it hit the locker. I winced, it would not make Brendon happy. Or Dallon, for that matter. The girl and her minions sauntered away.

"Your first day of school, and Beatrice already hates you. Nice." Rose grinned at me. "Should I bring you to the nurse?" I nodded.

"Yeah, thanks." I followed her to the nurse's office, where the nurse  took a good look at my swollen face and handed me a bag of ice, which I gingerly held to the injured area.

She eventually kicked us out, saying that when the ice melted I should come back. I thanked her and followed Rose to our next class, which we had together, too.

"Wait, before we go in can I quickly go to the bathroom?" Rose nodded and pointed it out to me. "Thanks," I said, running into it to cover up the right side of my face as best as I could with the makeup I had with me.

I ran into my next class, dropping into the seat next to Rose. Thank god the teacher didn't notice I came late.

The class was uneventful, and all I was doing was wishing I could go home.

Lunch finally came, and Rose led me over to a table where three other people were sitting.

"Guys, this is Amanda Grace. She's new here, and she's totally awesome. Amanda, this is Matthew Nicholas, Abigayil Moore, and Aaron Carter." I waved shyly at them.

"Dude, what happened to your face?" Matthew said.

"Beatrice already hates her." Matthew nodded understandably.

"Yeah, she doesn't like me, either."

Rose and I sat down, and we started talking. Turns out, I have a lot in common with them.

We bonded over bands and fandoms, and Rose and I are both obsessed with Marvel and Harry Potter, and Matthew is a huge geek when it comes to Doctor Who. I should introduce him to Dallon, but only when the band says I can tell people my secret.

Unfortunately, we had more classes, so we couldn't hang out all day. We traded phone numbers and headed to our own classes.