Chapter Twenty Two

Amanda

"As you guys may have known, Amanda hasn't been feeling her best for a few days. But she's finally feeling better, and I want to ask her if she wants to come out here and do something. Amanda, that's your cue." Brendon said.

"Ugh. Fine." I waltzed onto the stage, a guitar hanging across my back. "Hello, people! How are you doing tonight?" I got a cheer in response as I scanned the audience. My face broke out in a smile as I locked eyes with Jemma.

"So, what song do you wanna play?" Brendon walked over to me and threw a hand over my shoulder, avoiding the guitar.

"Gross, dad. You're soaked in sweat." I made a show of waving my hand in front of my nose and playfully pushed him away to the crowd's laughter.

"Oh, teenagers." He smiled and kissed the top of my head. "Small and innocent on the outside, sharp and dangerous on the inside."

"Well, if you're the only girl on tour with three groups of smelly, sweaty man-children, you kinda have to be." The crowd laughed again, and I bowed.

"Yeah, yeah. Are we ready for the next song?" Brendon shouted to the audience.

"I don't really care what your answer is," he said sarcastically, "But the next one is..."

I rolled my eyes and decided to take over. We ended up saying it at the same time, though.

"This Is Gospel!" The crowd cheered and we started.

"This is gospel

For the fallen ones

Locked away in permanent slumber

Assembling their philosophies

From pieces of broken memories."

This had become one of my all-time favorite songs, because I met Brendon in the middle of singing it.

"If you love me let me go!

"'Cause these words are knives and often leave scars

The fear of falling apart

Truth be told, I never was yours

The fear, the fear of falling apart.

This is gospel

For the vagabonds

Ne'er do wells and insufferable-" Brendon ran to me and clamped his hand over my mouth at "bastards", and I rolled my eyes. He removed it in time for me to continue singing the next line.

"Confessing their apostasies

Led away by imperfect impostors."

We finished the show seamlessly. I was relieved that Jemma didn't witness any mishaps on my part, because that would just have been awkward.

As soon as we got offstage, I grabbed Brendon by the arm and dragged him to the spot where I had texted Jemma to meet us.

"Woah, calm down. It's gonna be a few minutes until she gets out, and then she has to come here." He sat down on the grass and pulled a jacket over his bare chest, throwing one on top me as well. I slid my arms into the oversized jacket and pushed up the sleeves a little before dropping down on top of Brendon.

Squinting off into the distance, I absentmindedly played with the case of my phone. As soon as I saw her, I immediately stood up and ran to her.

"Amanda! Long time no see." She joked. "I would hug you, but you're all sweaty. Then again, I am, too. So I guess I will." She did, then gave Brendon one as well.

"You guys are amazing." Jemma smiled as we walked to the busses. I wanted to introduce her to everyone, especially Fall Out Boy. They were her favorite band.

As soon as we got there, I poked my head into Fall Out Boy's bus to see Patrick and Andy on the couch playing Halo. Joe was in the kitchen making some food, I couldn't tell what it was. I didn't see Pete.

"One minute," I told Jemma as I walked in. "Guys, where's Pete?"

"What?" He walked out of the bathroom, drying his hair.

"Oh. My friend from the orphanage, her name is Jemma, is a really big fan of you guys. She's a few years older than me, and got adopted a few years ago. I just met her again, and I wanted you to meet her."

"Cool. I'll get dressed, then we can go." He grabbed a random shirt from his bag and pulled it over his head. "Done."

I led the four out of the bus, where I saw Jemma and Brendon chatting. He caught my eye and nodded slightly.

"Jemma, I want you to meet some people." She turned around and her jaw dropped.

"Oh. My. God!"

"Hi. You must be Jemma!" Pete held out his hand, which she promptly shook.

"I can't believe this."

Joe laughed and nodded at me. "Neither could she when she met us and MCR. She passed out on top of Pete!" I shoved him as hard as I could, which actually threw him slightly off balance-I'm stronger than I look-and glared at him.

"Shut up!"

"Oh, was I not supposed to say that?" Joe feigned surprise. But Jemma was already laughing.

"Honestly, I would have done the same thing if I were your age," she said with a smile.

"So why are you laughing?" I challenged. She shrugged.

"Because sometimes the truth is entertaining."

That line. The six words that constantly flowed through her head. Those that always came out, except for when she needed to comfort me. Every laugh, smile, and smirk. The smile that got me through my hard days. Back then, it didn't matter that she was five years older than me. She was my adopted mother and best friend.

I laughed along with her and threw my arms around her neck. She hesitated before hugging me back.

"Thank you," I whispered in her ear. She seemed to understand.

With a smile, she set me down and whispered, "you're welcome" before wishing us all goodbyes and heading out.

(A/N: Just because it's a Tuesday and I'm updating doesn't mean that I always will on Tuesdays. I happen to not be going to school today because I'm sick. Again.

But I'll be okay!

Thank you guys so much for reading this far. It really puts a smile on my face when I read your comments.

-Alli)