Why Not (5)

Just like that, ash's life was back to normal. No nights he forgot. No surprise pets. No broken cars. He almost wanted something more. He wanted uniqueness, and subsequently freedom. That's why when she asked, he said... 'why not'

~•~

"Wait, she's asking ash, like the hot one?" The girls sat around at the table eating lunch. "Hey, you should actually meet him. He's kinda dumb" dawn sighed.

The girls looked over, seeing the two subjects of interest collide. "H-hi ash" the girl said shyly. "Wassup lily" ash smiled back at her.

"I... uhh... wanted to know if you, well, you know, wanted to go out?"

On the inside, his mind worked overtime processing what he just heard. The shy girl lily asked him out. He never like, had a crush on her, but he was open to something new...

"Why not" he said, taking a paper from his pocket and writing his name and number on it. His heart beat fast, stress, but not bad stress, but the kind where too many options are there, and you don't know what to choose. "Here" he handed it to the girl.

"Thanks" she took the paper and headed away, cheeks red from the exchange.

The tension in the air seemed to fade as soon as it appeared. The excitement gone, ash sat down in AP psych, and took out his notes from his backpack. Glancing around, he realized that a few of his classmates were looking at him. Even the teacher threw an extra glance his way, but ash couldn't tell if he was just following the gaze of the others.

"G'morning class" the teacher smiled, counting heads to see who all was there.

~•~

"Did you hear what happened?" The blue haired girl asked her friend. "Enlighten me, please" Serena replied, semi-sarcastically.

"So Lilly asked ash out!" Dawn squealed.

"That bi... that boy finally got a date... or I assume he said yes"

"You bet he did... I mean any boy would be crazy to turn her down... ohhhh ohhh here he comes!"

Ash walked in, finding his was over too the table and sitting down. "Wat?" He asked motioning to the two girls. "So..." dawn began and ash sighed.

"Word travels fast" he shook his head.

"Too fast" Serena looked around at the few who had turned to their group of friends.

"So. Spill it, why did you agree to go out with her?" Dawn asked the question on everyone's mind.

"Why not?" Ash smiled casually.

Dawn was about to reply, when her friends hand on hers made her stop. Serena knew that was all ash had to say... she knew ash...

~•~

Ash drove through town towards the university. It was strange having no one to talk too. It was just him in his car. He was still glad to be back to normal. On the Serena shuttle, he couldn't just go wherever he wanted. There was another person to think of. The thing was, though, he liked that. He said yes to Lilly because he was bored of life, and life was bored of him.

It was a symbiotic relationship. Like gave him trouble, and he made it fun. Of all of the people to be friends with, he chose 'normal people'. People with problems, ups and downs, not ones to hide it, but instead let it show. He felt their troubles, and loved it.

~•~

Classes were normal, as it always seemed to be. Ash sat beside Serena, who herself, seemed distracted. He wasn't sure what she was thinking about, but it took up most all of her concentration.

Surprisingly, even in his semi conscious state of thinking about his new 'girlfriend' he still got most of the work done, same for her. It wasn't too hard, and the two of them finished w/ some time to spare as far as the problems they had, and the teacher didn't lecture much. It reminded him of why he even did what he did...

Because when the time arrives to do something crazy...

why not...