(20)

As he pulled up beside the oversized house, his heart raced. His mind fluttered between fragments of information, and his hands shook.

He loved it.

The click of the mechanical lock on the door gave him easy access. He slipped the small key she had been nice enough to give him, and made his way to where he had only been once before.

It was still a twisting maze of hallways, but this time he wanted to get lost. Hus goal wasn't to get out, but to go deeper in.

Finally, he found it. The shelf stood tall, looking to sturdy to have ever been moved from its resting place. Of course, he knew better.

Opening the secret door was easy you knew what you were looking for. He pulled the book from the shelf, and pressed in just the right spot.

The bookshelf fell back into the walk, and then retreated to the side, revealing the same room he had been to before.

Stepping inside, he saw each article of destruction laid out. He saw the lockbox containing the information used to sabotage his car, the vials used to poison his mind, and knowledge used to keep him from ever knowing.

It was a mystery that he had the luxury of putting together, one that excited him to the very core. The only problem was that, now, other were being hurt because of it.

Off to the side of the room was a door. It had been concealed when he first had looked around, but he now saw it clearly.

It was not locked, and he pushed it open, revealing what he had feared all along.

Miette's eyes widened as she saw ash approach her.

"don't worry" he said "you are going to be alright,"

She was not alright. Serena had taken her, tied her up, and now she was terrified.

Ash untied her bonds, and quickly instructed Miette to run. Miette needed no further instructions. She swiftly edited the room, but not before someone else entered.

"Ash I-" Serena said, but ash cut her off.

"You are insane!" he bellowed, as tears formed in her eyes "You..." he hesitated. He only knew of one was to solve this, to contain her. "You're insane. And..." his voice traile off as he got closer to her. "And you could've just asked" he whispered, pulling her, closer.

She was unpredictable, and he loved that. The only problem was that he needed a way to keep her under control. This was how.

The two of them embraced, locking lips in a moment of pure passion, yet also a contradiction. After everything, he shouldn't be doing this, but yet, he knew it would work... And also... He wanted it to work.