(15)

Everything around her was darkness. Whatever concealed her head was tied tightly, and she had given up struggling. Serena sighed, and thought back to everything that had lead up to this. She first met him during seventh grade. Her own shyness was overshadowed by his kindness. He invited her to join in their inner circle of friends. She met with everyone, Dawn, Gary, Paul. Slowly, her own anxiety went away, being replaced by a confidence to do what she wanted. The truth was, what did she want? She had most things she wanted. Her mom who was single at the time made enough to support them, and she was doing well in school, so what was her goal? This was about the time she started to notice someone else. Or at least see them for who they were. He was perfect, but not naturally. Everyone knew him, but yet he seemed far away when you really took an analytical look at things. So then the real question, was how could you really get close to him. That's what she had aimed to find out. Of course, none of this could ever be found out through honesty, but only with deception. She acted the same as she always had, but this time she was plotting. The two of them continued their normal interactions, and he just assumed that she was the same as always. Then, something went wrong. She had revealed her hand too early, and now she's here. Of course that doesn't matter. She was never going to give up, not until the very end. Not until it's all over.

"THIS IS THE POLICE!"

A loud voice dwarfed all other sound around her, and only faintly could she hear her captors rushing to their feet.

"COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD"

Worried murmurs echoed from the men around her. They hadn't expected anything line this. For the first time in a while Serena felt in control. It was time to make her move.

"Oh that'd be my step dad" she said, confidently sitting up in the chair she was tied to "he probably used his contact... The police chief" she emphasized the last word, making sure her captors knew what they were up against.

"h-how did they get here so fast, one mysterious voice said, the fear obviously showing. "it must've been that boy" another chimed in. At this, Serena was confused. Ash allowed these people to take her, would he have gone out of his way to free her?

Outside, a car could be heard stopping, and one person stepping outside. They held the device up to their mouth, allowing it to carry their voice. "COME OUT OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO GO IN THERE!" he said, loudly scuffling his feet across the ground.

Inside, Serena could barely make out the mutterings of her captors. "run... Fight... Surrender..." these were all options they were weighing. She decided to keep her mouth shut. These people were paranoid enough, and it should all end soon...