(19)

"Your project will be done with a partner, covering everything I just discussed" the teacher scanned the room for any questioning faces, but all of the students seemed content. "Of course, I would hate to give out of class homework, so we will be doing this in class over the next week," the teacher rearranged a stack of papers "also, I would like to welcome our new student, Miette. I hope you will all be as kind to her as you have been to me,"

A blue haired girl stood up, nodded greeting to the class, then took her seat.

With that, the teacher was done giving instructions, and students started searching for partners. Ash already knew who he would work with. He turned over to the boy he was sitting next to, and the two of them nodded.

He excelled in the class, but also stayed relatively quiet. That made him the perfect partner for Ash, as he wouldn't be controlling or annoyed.

Ash thought the boys name was josh, but he was so quiet ash couldn't remember.

"Hey... umm" he heard a voice above him. Looking up, he saw the new girl. "I asked around and someone said that you were smart, so would you be my partner?"

Ash smiled, and shook his head. He was about to reply, but then he noticed that she was blushing. He wouldn't normally see these things, but after looking back at how Serena had acted, knowing now her feelings, it all seemed obvious.

"Sorry, but I already have a partner"

"Oh"

"But you can still come over to my place, and I can catch you up in the class, seeing as your new"

"Wow, really. Thanks!"

The two exchanged numbers, and then she went off to find a partner.

Ash sighed. He was going to have to warn her. When Lilly suddenly cut things off, he had his suspicions. Then, when he learned more about Serena, he was almost certain. Whatever she did scared Lilly enough to give up on being in a relationship with him, and he didn't want it to come to that with miette.

-

Miette: what time should we meet up?

Ash: idk. Maybe like Saturday at 7.

Miette: sure. Should I come to you or...

Ash: I can drive to your place

Miette: that would be great [address attached]

Ash: see you soon

Miette: :)

-

Ash stretched, closing his laptop, and getting up form his desk after a successful Saturday of doing nothing. Shutting the door behind him, he walked out to his car.

The road was quiet and peaceful all of the way down to Miette's house, or at least what he hoped was Miette's house.

Glancing down at his phone, he confirmed the house number with the one he saw in front of him. Yep, this was it.

As he walked up to the door, he noticed something strange. It protruded slightly outwards, not fully latched.

He knocked, waiting patiently for a response, but there was none.

Slowly, he grew tired of waiting, and seeing as how the door was unlocked, he peered inside.

The lights were still on, illuminating every little corner of the entrance hallway.

"Hello?" Ash yelled, still no response.

He opened the door fully, taking a step inside to better see what was going on.

There was nobody home. He recalled Miette mentioning that her parents were at a dinner party, but she had to be home somewhere, right?

Shutting the door behind himself, Ash explored the empty household.

All of the downstairs was empty, but the lights were still on. He made his way up to the second story, and immediately something seemed off.

The pictures on the walls had been moved, tipped slightly, as if someone had pushed them around.

There were four rooms, three of which seemed to be bedrooms, the fourth an office. One bedroom seemed to have no decorations at all, obviously a guest room. Another was the master bedroom, and finally he found the one he was looking for.

Opening up the door to what he assumed was Miette's room, he found it to be a mess. Not the kind of teenager who doesn't clean, but things were out of place. The clock had fallen off the wall and onto the ground, and it seemed like there was a struggle of some kind.

At first, Ash had no idea what to make of this, but then his mind jumped to an idea that seemed both crazy and possible...