Chapter 6

Harry looked up at Jennifer's hotel room door. He hadn't been able to think about anything but getting to her after Holly's scolding. He knew she was already guilty about his wrist and he wanted to make sure she didn't keep beating herself up about it.

He lifted his hand to knock only then realizing that she hadn't closed the door all the way and it was still open. This might have alarmed him under different circumstances but he knew the entire floor was bought out so it didn't really matter.

He pushed the door open and glanced around. He was only able to see down the small hallway into the room. The room was dark except for the bathroom light. He cleared his throat,

"Jennifer?" When she didn't answer he came the rest of the way into the room. He pushed the door closed, "Jennifer?" He called out again.

Still no answer. He took a few more steps past the bathroom, glancing in to make sure she wasn't in there and then out of the hallway into the room. The room was empty, the curtains drawn. He sighed, she must have left already. No telling where she'd gone after the altercation with Holly. He turned to walk out,

"Down here..." He heard her voice as he turned to see her sitting against the wall, her knees pulled up. She looked up at him, "Sometimes it feels good to sit in the dark. Ever notice that?"

He watched her for a few moments before sliding down to sit next to her. She stared ahead as if she was trying to see something in front of her. He pulled his knees up and balanced his forearms on his knees.

She reached out to touch the brace on his wrist,

"Does it hurt?"

He shook his head,

"Not anymore. Painkillers are appropriately named." She laughed softly and his whole body relaxed. She was laughing, which meant he'd helped even if in some small measure.

"People are going to wonder what happened."

He nodded,

"I'll say I fell down some stairs or something. It's not like that's out of the realm of possibility...unfortunately for me." She squeezed her eyes shut when she laughed, turning her head into his shoulder and laying her cheek against it.

He turned his head towards hers,

"What Holly said wasn't fair." He whispered against her hair.

Jennifer shrugged,

"She was right though. I was reckless. And now you're hurt."

He covered the hand she put on his brace with his other hand,

"You've seen me on stage right? I fall a lot. All you did was put me in a different spot."

She lifted her head off his shoulder to focus on him, her eyes dancing while she giggled softly. He felt his heart stop in his chest,

"Thank you...for making me laugh."

He nodded, flicking his eyes to her mouth and then back to her eyes,

"What I'm here for."

She held his eyes for a bit, running across the features of his face. Over the past couple weeks of getting to know him better, she was seeing him in a whole new way. It seemed like he was there for her every time she'd had some kind of crisis lately. Rescuing her from embarrassing situations and making her laugh when things got too serious.

Harry reached up to touch her cheek with his fingertips. His eyes fell closed as he leaned forward, his mouth opening to capture hers when she pulled away and diverted her eyes down,