Chapter 16

Harry jogged towards his bus after the car let him out in the venue parking lot. Jennifer had texted him earlier saying she would be waiting in his and Niall's bus whenever he got done with the video shoot and to meet her there. After what had happened before, he was giddy with excitement. He couldn't wait to get to her, touch her, talk to her, spend some real quality time connecting so they could get back to what they were.

She'd wanted to keep their rekindling on the down low until they figured out what was going on. He was totally fine with that. To be honest, he would have agreed to anything if it meant being allowed the chance to fix what was broken between them. And it made sense to keep their relationship to themselves. They were still fragile and he didn't want anything to get in the way.

So they'd opted to spend the night on his bus, in the deserted parking lot of the venue rather than the hotel. At least then they could have some quiet time.

He pulled the door open, his nostrils quickly invaded by the distinct smell of tomato sauce and garlic. She'd mentioned she'd be making something to eat, he should have known she didn't just mean bologna sandwiches. He quickly shut the door behind him and locked it.

The quiet hum of the bus kind of set him at ease. It was like the sound of his heart now that he and Jennifer were on the road to recovery.

He skipped up the steps, glancing around to make sure the curtains were drawn. He looked up just as she emerged from the back bedroom, a broad smile stretched across her beautiful face. His heart fluttered while his entire body relaxed. For so long he'd been terrified they would never get back to this spot. But here they were.

She jogged towards him, hopping up into his arms, her legs wrapping around his waist. He laughed as he caught her, stumbling back to land on the couch behind them. She pressed her mouth to his,

"Now that's how you say hello." He said against her mouth. She continued kissing him, ignoring his laughing and pressing her entire body up against his. Her hands drifted down to his hips where she lifted his shirt a bit. He shivered, his smile fading, when he felt her fingertips brush over his skin.

Her eyes met his as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth,

"Hi."

He squeezed her hips gently,

"Hi." He lifted a hand to her cheek, "I missed you."

Her face brightened with a smile,

"You just saw me a couple hours ago."

"I didn't just mean in the last couple hours."

Her smile faded while she looked down at the cross on his chest,

"Oh." She whispered softly.

They both sat silent for a few moments. The distance and anxiety between them over the last month and a half was almost completely gone, replaced by an appreciation of just being able to be close again.

She took a breath,

"We have a lot we still need to talk about."

He nodded,

"I'm aware."

"But I kind of need a few days with no emotionally charged discussions if that's ok."

He stared up at her, nodding gently,

"I care about you..." He started. When her eyes met his he continued, "you know that right?" She nodded. He brushed some hair off her shoulder, "I want this to work. I want us to...make each other a priority. I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything." He took her hands from his waist and pulled them up to his chest, threading his fingers through hers, "Will you go out with me tomorrow night after the show?"