Chapter 12

Holly held the microphone stand as she listened to the band behind her play one of her new songs. She hadn't told any of her management or record label about the songs but she'd given the band one of them and asked them to learn it. She planned on unveiling it at the show tonight if it sounded good enough.

She held her hand up,

"Hey...hold up." When the music stopped she walked towards the piano player, Luke, "Need you to draw out that note at the end of the intro...it's supposed to be thoughtful."

Luke nodded,

"Like this?" He played the intro again, adding Holly's suggestion at the end.

She smiled,

"Perfect. That's exactly it."

Jennifer folded her arms over her chest as she listened to her best friend take charge of her music. It filled her with pride. Holly had allowed her life and music to be controlled by managers and record companies for far too long. It was about time she started taking charge.

Jennifer's plane had landed an hour ago. She'd headed straight to the venue, trying to ignore the anxiety building up in her stomach the closer she got to the building.

Once inside, she dodged anyone who might have known her. She knew once anyone got a glimpse of her it would spread like wildfire that she was back and she wanted to take this at her own pace.

Now, standing on the floor of the venue, over to the side near the speakers, she was happy to see that Holly had taken control of her own destiny finally.

Jennifer waited until the song finished before saying anything. She wanted to hear what Holly had been doing while she was gone. Where this song had come from, she had no idea but she loved it.

Jennifer stepped out from behind the speaker, a broad smile stretched across her face,

"New music while I was gone? I like it. Sounds like some weepy college girl overtook my best friend."

Holly's head snapped in her direction, her eyes wide with shock. She didn't move though, just sat there staring back at Jennifer, standing on the floor. She looked brand new. The muted color of her skin was gone, replaced with effervescence Holly had never seen on her before.

Jennifer raised her eyebrows,

"I don't even get a hug?" She shook her head, "Typic-"

"OH MY GOD!!!" Holly screamed, interrupting Jennifer. She hopped off the stage, not even bothering with the steps, and over the barricade before crashing into Jennifer. Jennifer stumbled back a bit as Holly wrapped her arms around her.

Tears streamed down Holly's face, her whole body shaking in Jennifer's arms,

"I can't believe you're here." She pulled away, keeping her arms around Jennifer's neck, "Why didn't you tell us when you were coming back? I would've sent someone to get you."

Jennifer shrugged,

"I'm an adult, Hol. I am perfectly capable of finding a cab."

Holly nodded,

"I know but-" she put her hand to her mouth as she looked Jennifer up and down, "I'm so...I can't belie-" Tears choked her and she pulled Jennifer back into her arms, "I missed you so much." She whispered.

Jennifer nodded, her smile fading as she closed her eyes. A bit of her anxiety drained. Despite the fact that they hadn't had a serious conversation about anything yet, Jennifer could tell nothing had changed between them,