41| Heartbeats and Horrors

Dedicated to:Aayat_

Thank you for making it so far into the story and voting on every chapter! I really appreciate it :D

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

"I'm a big mess, and that's the last thing you need right now...but this mess loves you endlessly"

~LovableQuotes.com

Logan's POV

I haven't been more afraid ever before.

My entire life was flashing by in front of my eyes as Carlton waved the murderous, dark metal object, pointing it straight towards my chest.

I tried my utmost to stay calm, trying to overpower the feeling of a dagger harshly being twisted in my gut. I lost my hearing and the only sounds that were audible to me were my thundering heart and my rasping breaths.

"Carlton..." I lifted my trembling palm towards him as if to shield myself; it weighed a hundred tons "...put the gun down...please"

I had no mettle to view Claire's condition but I pushed her behind me, barricading her from him completely so she doesn't become the weapon's target instead.

"Who's miserable now?" his wicked grin widened and he shot us a treacherous one-sided smirk. Walking towards us with quick strides, he uttered "Back off"

I backed off, dragging Claire with me, into a dark alleyway between two ramshackle buildings. He stood in the center of one side of the alleyway; the other side was barred with a netted gateway. It was a dead end – we were trapped.

"You're making a big mistake" I protested, knowing there was no way I was getting away from this.

"You know who made a big mistake?!" he bellowed, violently gesturing with his gun "That truck driver who slammed into you! You should've fucking died that day, dumbass!"

"Why are you doing this?! Just because some stupid girl rejected you...because of me?"

He laughed bitterly, strolling closer "Oh don't you dare go there, Walker! I swear all these six bullets will hit you one after the other in the same fucking spot and I'll make sure Claire cherishes every second of it"

"Stop...please!" I heard her crying from behind me.

Every minute passed by too quickly, I found myself searching my mind desperately for solutions. The fear was like a hammer to the head, spreading a paralyzing ache through my body.

"Are you crazy?" I said "You're about to take someone's life!"

"I don't give a shit about that someone!"

"You...you really think killing me is the only solution?" I spoke, my tensed muscles pushing tears out of the corner of my eyes "You think that'll make Breanna love you?"

"Shut the fuck up Walker" he gritted his teeth "You're the reason I cry myself to sleep every night...now it's you turn to suffer" saying that got ready to pull the trigger.

I had never imagined this is how it would all end; I never thought this was how I'd die.

Time seemed to slow down, heat roughly pulsating throughout my body. My heartbeat throbbed in my ears and I gulped painfully, feeling something spiky and sharp initiate burning sensations down my throat.

I exhaled deeply when his other hand went up to hold the gun in place, aiming it towards my already wounded and bandaged chest.

The night was cloudy; the thick mist veiled the full moon from view and its faint sheen emanated rays from amid the fog. It glowed in the sky behind Carlton – his deathly glare fixated on my face.