Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I can't decide" Kit groans flicking back and forth through the subject selection booklet as we walk. Everyone had been given a booklet which explains all the electives you can choose from. The catch being that only two of them can be chosen. One from the first category and one from the second. Everyone has to list them from 1-6, with one being most preferred and six being least preferred.

"I'm sure you'll be fine" I reassure her.

"Aren't I suppose to be saying that to you?" Kit laughs.

"Oh well" I smile looking down at the options in front of me.

Elective 1:
•Performing arts
•Visual arts
•Design and fashion
Biochemistry
•Media and television
•P.E extension

Elective 2:
•Health studies
•Fitness and sports studies
•Equine studies~positions limited
•Retail studies
•Academics extension
•Business studies

After racing back to our rooms Kit and I flicked through the booklets and tried to figure out our electives. Kit still couldn't make her mind up. I knew one thing is that I wanted to do equine studies badly, everything else was hard to choose from. Now Kit and I were waiting out the front of Trish's office, our dorm monitor. I was scheduled to go in first and then after me was Kit.

"I guess we'll figure it out when we're in there" Kit sighs taking a seat with me outside of Trish's office.

"Taylor Hastings?" I here a lady call as a student exits her office.

I slowly rise from my chair and wonder in. I was thinking of doing P.E extension since that's pretty much playing different games and sports.

"Hi Taylor, I'm Trish your dorm monitor as you would know by now" she introduces.

"I understand you're new to EFA but I'm positive you'll find an elective here you would like. Now if you could fill out this form and sign here, that would be great" Trish smiles as she points at a certain point on the page where I needed to sign.

"Okay no problem" I respond taking in her bubbly attitude, she looked about mid-late twenties.

In the first elective I numbered it P.E extension first and everything else in random order. The second elective I chose equine studies then fitness and sport studies. And again everything after that was chosen randomly. On the form I needed to fill out my name, date of birth, current year level and the dorm I'm staying in before signing it.

"I'm done" I said handing the sheet to her.

"Wonderful, now I'm just wondering Taylor, have you got the time table for this weekend?" Trish asks.

"Yes I do" I respond.

"Perfect, the new timetables should be getting emailed out around 8:30 on Sunday morning... Now you're free to go" she smiles warmly.

"Thank you" I say as I rise from the comfy chair and leave the office.

"Kit Miller?" I heard Trish call once I was out of the room.

"What did you pick?" Kit asks as she passes me.

"Just random stuff, want me to meet you back at our room?" I ask.

"Yeah sure, see you in a few" she says disappearing into Trish's office.

As I make my way up to my room a few girls stared at me, one I recognised as Stephanie. I didn't know if it was because I was new, but I wasn't enjoying the attention. As I make it to my room I decide to go see Storm after Kit gets back. I'm sure she has friends she rather visit instead of babysitting me.

It takes 10 minutes longer then expected for her to arrive. She held a disgruntled look upon her face and slammed the door. Not saying anything Kit drags herself up onto her bed crawling under the blankets.

"What's wrong?" I frown.

"I have swimming training in less then an hour-" Kit then lets out an exasperated sigh.

"Oh, I thought you said you liked training" I trail off confused.

"I do but when I was coming back from Trish's office, I ran into a friend of mine, she said there's a whole bunch of new swimmers this year" Kit's voice turns cold.

"I'm sure you'll be great, if you were captain last year and keep training hard, I'm sure nothing will change" I said sending her an encouraging smile looking up from my computer.

"You don't understand, EFA had given out more scholarships then normal last year and is still offering spots here to some of the best teenage athletes" Kit stresses.

"Yeah and only the best are allowed here, that's why you're here and the captain, so relax" I laugh as I check my emails.

"They got one the best under 15's swimmers recruited this year, Gemma White!" Kit throws her hands up in the air. I look up yet again and stare at her weirdly.

"She's like really really really good!!" Kit says rolling her eyes at my cluelessness, I'm not really 'with it' in the competition world. I don't even know half the people on our Olympic team, I just nod my head and continue on with my day.

"Well I guess you'll have to be better and to be honest, at the end of the day the captain doesn't need to be the fastest, but the most positive and encouraging one there-" I said giving her a mini lecture.

"-my point is, if you think it's all about winning and not caring about your peers then you shouldn't be captain" I plainly said shrugging my shoulders.

"Your right, I shouldn't worry, sorry if I sounded selfish, I'm not normally like this, I'm just really nervous for trials" Kit stresses giving me a sheepish look.

"No I understand, there's a lot of pressure, but why have you got training this afternoon anyways? I thought there wasn't any sports training on today..." I ask continuing to check the last of my emails.

"Well my aunt is the one of the main swimming coaches here, she's making sure I'm prepared for tomorrow and at my best" Kit explains.

"That's fun" I respond closing my laptop at my desk.

"Not really, she's full on in training and has crazy expectations, people still say I got special treatment and that's why I'm captain" Kit says bitterly.

"That's ridiculous" I frown.

"Most of them know I work just as hard as them, however I always go the extra distance... just in case..." Kit sighs.

"At the end of the day if you're the one going that extra distance, then there's no doubt that scouts will notice" I smile as I walk into the closet.

"Are you fine if I go out to the stables? I might go ride my horse this afternoon" I call from the closet looking through my stuff.

"That's alright, I think I'll nap and then head off to the pool soon" she calls back.

I pull out my helmet and walk back into our main room. Since I already had my riding clothes on, there was no reason to change. I pick up my bag with my keys and other things in it before saying goodbye again. It's time to ride.