Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I hadn't looked at my timetable yet even though it was sent before my examination this morning. I didn't see the point fussing over it as Kit had already gone out by the time I woke up. This afternoon printed copies would be available to pick up at club sign ups. I had already looked at the types of clubs that I could join.

There was also an equestrian club which allowed students the opportunity to compete in shows that weren't apart of the interschool sports curriculum. I was keen to join that too. It allowed those who couldn't put time into being on one of EFA's teams to go out and compete individually. Even though I was apart of the EFA team now, I still wanted to go to shows that weren't just school based. I've always competed outside of school and it was always fun to me, so I wasn't planning on giving it up. I wasn't here to let some curriculum tell me what shows I can and cannot compete in.

So here I was alone around 5pm, the rush of students signing up was gone along with the days hype. I had received a sign up form along with my timetable that was in an unopened envelope. The lady prompted me to fill out the sheet. I had been in the middle of ticking boxes when I saw a familiar face. Sabrina Chapman who was now a junior student at EFA, had been an old friend I use to ride with back at Bluestone. That however had been a couple years ago before she moved interstate and became the best under 18's eventing rider in North America. We competed at the same shows in the past year or two but never got a chance to talk.

I was shocked she would've even remembered me, I remember her as a quiet person back in Forestlake. It seems as though she still carries that trait around today. She didn't like being in the publics critical eye and would avoid press very often. I quickly put my head down and continue filling out the form, my parents would have to agree to the terms as well. It would be at a week until people start getting the all clear from administration.

"May I have your ID card?" the lady asks with boredom. I pass it to her quickly and she checks that all the information I've provided is correct. Once she seemed pleased enough with the authenticity of my details she put my papers with other ones and passed back my ID card. As I'm leaving the building I heard footsteps behind me.

"Taylor?" I here a familiar voice call.

"Sabrina?" I turn around confused, the brunette had a big smile on her face as she greets me.

"I thought it was you, oh my gosh we need to catch up like right now! You busy?" She asks, her eyes filled with excitement.

"No, lets go! Trail ride?" I ask earning a bigger smile on Sabrina's behalf.

"Couldn't have suggested anything better" we link arms and for once I truly felt like I had a friend I can rely on, no drama attached.

...

"Spruce Meadows?" I ask with disbelief.

"Yeah, we went up there last summer"

"To compete? That's in Canada" I half ask, half state.

"Yeah we did quite well actually, Crescendo and I were 4th overall in intermediate level eventing. I think there were over 50 people in our eventing stage so I was ecstatic. We also did some individual jumping classes and won some believe it or not" Sabrina smiles proudly as she pats her chestnut affectionately.

"That's incredible" I state in awe.

"How are you and Stormy boy?" She asks, using the nickname she's given him ever since she met him.

"Good, we've progressed to jumping about 1.10m, he can go 1.15m but I haven't gone to a show jumping class in ages. We only jump when practicing for our eventing competitions" I explain.

Back when Sabrina and I rode together we always jumped, it was the two of us who taught Storm to jump. It was our goal as kids that we would one day jump our own horses to 1.60m with ease. Now that we're a bit older reality has set in and school has pushed back my aspirations. Sabrina however must have shoved her way through that because now she's gone to international horse shows. It was crazy!

"Do you still like jumping?" Sabrina asks raising an eyebrow.

"Of course" I stare at her like she's crazy, jumping has always been a thrill of mine.

"Then we've got to fix that, next weekend I'm taking Crescendo out to a show in Ocala, you're coming. I take it that you were there to sign up for the equestrian club?" Sabrina asks raising a brow.

"Yeah, but how? We just started school and I've only just got on the intermediate A team. I've got trials for the advanced team really soon, I won't have the time" I debate frowning.

"There's a quote that I've followed ever since I got Crescendo, it goes 'he who says he can, and he who says he can't are both usually correct'. Follow that quote like a rule and everything will be fine" Sabrina explains smiling.

"If I were to consider this, what classes will I be entering" I ask trying to hide my smile.

"Obviously in the 1.10m jump classes" Sabrina says casually.

"A 1.10m?" I repeat blinking.

"Sometimes you've got to push yourself. Of course don't put your horse at risk, but if you've confidently jumped 1.10m then you'll be fine" Sabrina continues as we walk our horses down a new trail.

"And after that?" I ask.

"Then you'll continue competing in those classes, train in eventing for the school team, as well as training Storm to jump higher-"

"-that's if he's into it" Sabrina says.

"Of course he is, just like beating you in every single race we've had" I challenge.

"You're on!" She says, Crescendo turns on a dime and in a flash they're racing back towards the barn.

"No fair!" I yell as I turn Storm around quickly and gallop after them.