Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Rise, sit, breath in.

Rise, sit, breath out.

Rise, sit, breath in.

Sit, move outside leg, ask for canter.

Sit deep, more leg, center yourself.

Heels down, keep hands steady, two point position.

Jump.

"Where on earth have you been, we have a dance to attend" an unimpressed voice calls from the side of the outdoor arena.

Storm's ears swivel unsurely as I guide him to the next jump and ignore Kit. We soar over it perfectly and the gelding tosses his head happily. I pat his neck and trot him over to where Kit stood.

"Good boy" I praise as we come to a stop next to the fence.

"I've been practicing, if you haven't noticed" I sigh as Kit raises a brow at me.

"So have I, and still I'm ready to prepare for this dance and you're not" Kit says sassily like a mom scolding a child.

"Okay, well like I told you, I'm not going, that pep rally yesterday took up all of my last minute private practice time" I argue.

"Oh please, I've seen you jump, you'll be perfectly fine" Kit says rolling her eyes.

"Why do I have to come, don't you guys get in trouble for things like this?" I pout, not wanting to go to this 'back to school' dance, party, what ever it is.

Kit laughs.

"The dance held tonight is school organised, you're referring after party" Kit smirks.

"Well I'm not going, attending a dance solo isn't my thing" I said.

"Just tag along with me and my date then" Kit shrugs.

"No way in hell I'm third wheeling" I deadpan as I start to ride away on Storm.

"Oh come on, don't be such a flip flop-" Kit calls.

"Bye Kit" I said as I go to the other side of the arena.

Once she finally gives up, I release a sigh.

Peace and quiet, just the way I like it.

By the time I finished working Storm, it was starting to get darker and there were a lack of students at the barn. Storm happily napped while I groomed him on a pair of cross ties. After he was sparkling, I put him in his stall and feed him. We were as ready as we could be for tomorrows show.

As I begin to leave, I spot someone still riding in the indoor arena. It turned out to be Ashlyn, a grade 10 advanced team member. Much to my dismay she was a brilliant rider, at least when her horse behaved. Watching her ride made me feel slightly intimidated. Being on the elite team wasn't a given right. It was an honour that only the best riders would receive. Not even Ashlyn is on the elite team. Holding the title of being an EFA elite team member meant everything. It's what reels in the attention of scouts, university and college officials. The title gives you the celebrity status at school, not that I care, but you get the point.