Chapter 31

Chapter 31

The setting sun was a reminder that I needed to hurry up. It was late in the evening and the clinic had finished a while ago. Soon enough, all EFA students would be driven back to our hotel for the night. Storm seemed to be quiet this afternoon, after the exhausting jumping lesson.

His palomino coat glimmers in the fading light. After a quick glance, I turn back to the task at hand. Although JOPS had grooms, I decided to clean Storm's stall myself. It didn't take to long and it was nice to clean up after Storm for once, as weird as it sounds. Ever since we arrived at EFA, stalls got cleaned for us, as well as the water troughs. Truthfully, it was handy so far due to how busy I can be.

I look up when I hear the slamming of a stall door. Placing the pitchfork down, I squeeze by Storm who was already glancing over his stall door. Storm nickers and stares at me expectantly, probably expecting a treat. After popping my head out of the stall, I don't spot anyone and go back to cleaning the stall.

Once again, I hear a stall door close but this time it was closer. Shortly after, I hear another one opening. Frowning, I leave Storms stall to go investigating.

Okay, this totally isn't a horror movie moment... I'm literally that blonde girl in movies...

As I walk down the isles, I glance into the stalls briefly. Most of the grooms had already gone home, and the rest were putting equipment away or setting up for tomorrow. I didn't know why I was investing, but I had a bad feeling. The rest of the EFA students were either hounding Mr Reynolds or in the riders lounge.

I stop in my tracks and try to listen closely, but nothing could be heard besides the horse. Sighing, I check the time and turn around. I look up quickly when I see a person dart out of another stall and disappear out the side door. Frowning, I quickly walk to the stall that I discover is Hope's, Emily's horse.

The light markless chestnut glances up from her feed bin, seemingly content. My eyes drift around her stall and land of her feed bin again. Immediately I walk in and investigate. A weird powder had been mixed in with her feed that was already partially eaten. I didn't know what to do, unsure if it was just apart of her feed or something else.

Shaking my head, I leave Hope in peace and decide I'm overreacting. I couldn't shake the feeling so I decided  ask Emily later. Walking back to Storm's stall, I hum a tune and glance at my messages. The phone slips from my hand when I spot Storm's head in his feed bucket. Racing into the stall, I shove him back and examine the food. He had already eaten today, so what ever this was, wasn't for him.

The same powder was mixed into the feed and I immediately remove it. Dumping it outside, I decide to go in the direction of that person. Swinging the side door open, I can't see anyone down the side of the barn.

"Oh no, Hope!" I mutter.

Turning around, I run back to Hopes stall and push her back. Taking the feed from her, I receive a disgruntled look. What was in the food?!

I decide to look in all the horses stalls, but nothing seems different.

What was this person up to, and what were they trying to feed my horse?

After disposing of the food, I take a shaky breath. Maybe I was overreacting? It could've just been a mix up? Who knows?

Glancing at my phone again, I check Storm over and reluctantly go to find everyone else.

...

Last night I tossed and turned, uneasy and unable to sleep. I'd asked Emily about the feed, but she claimed she knew nothing about it. It had taken a toll on my mood, and I felt increasingly worried.