Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I searched high and low for Sonnet's girth. The EFA horse trailers, the isles, even the stalls and Dana's tack trunk. There was no girth in sight. Eventually I resigned from searching and sat down outsides Storm's stall on my tack trunk.

Storm pokes his head over the stall door, looking bored from being cooped up. I sigh in disappointment. I really wanted to find that girth for Dana. That way she may be more lenient in updating me with the latest gossip. It didn't take much to know her group were the gossip girls of the barn. I really wanted to know if there was anything being said about me.

As many riders walk past me, I finally stand up again and go to get more hay for Storm. When I arrive, I open his empty hay net and start filling it. As I finish, my phone dings.

Zander: how's the show going?

I smile, and give a quick response before turning back to the task at hand. As I tie a knot, I'm blinded by something reflecting light into my eyes. Squinting, I couldn't make out what it was. But as I caught proper sight of the buckle on the synthetic girth, I nearly jump with joy.

Please be Sonnet's!

I quickly start brushing hay and tug the rest of the item out from under a bale. It looked to be Sonnet's girth. Although its a little dusty and has hay stuck on it, it was still in decent condition. As I attempt to clean it a little, I make my way to Storm's stall to swap his hay nets. Afterwards, I walk to Sonnet's empty stall.

There's a note stuck to his stall door.

When was that put there?

You should be more careful next time, otherwise you could lose your horse too.

I rip the note off the door and stare at it for a good couple of seconds. Who ever wrote this clearly had something to do with the missing girth. But they made a mistake, they hand wrote it. If I could match this with someone's hand writing from the show, we'll have our thief.

Who ever wrote this note is clearly a trouble maker. I'll have to question Dana when I get the chance. Maybe she'll know who's writing this is.

What if she shuts me down, or worse, thinks I wrote it..?

That thought alone has me going back on my decision. As they say, ignorance is bliss. Dana was already so upset, I don't think she'd want to see this note.

I'd want to know though...

I hush the annoyingly logical voice that found itself as the back of my head.

It'll be fine...

...

"Taylor Hastings on Wind Storm"

I gulp nervously when I hear mine and Storm's name called. This was my final round today which just so happened to be a jump off. A 1.10m jump off which I've never been in before.

It was daunting.

I don't know how Dana handled the 1.30m classes. Of course she'd won her final event today. After all, EFA students won everything. No pressure there.

No pressure at all...

"Go Taylor" I hear someone call from the side line.

I giggle when I see Dana waving at me frantically. She still had Sonnet with her, however he was no longer tacked up. Nearby, Sabrina had already taken her seat in the stands. Her smile was extremely reassuring but it wouldn't calm my nerves.

Blinking rapidly, I try to remember the course which was set up in front of me. If I didn't keep it together, Storm and I would start to dwindling. Taking a deep breath, I squeeze my legs against Storm's side. We move instantly into his bouncy canter, circling one more time.

"You got this" I whisper to myself.

I zone out the surrounding noise, and my eyes focus on the first jump.

There were 12 in total.

The first just was an oxer, with the simple red and white colouring. Storms head raises as we approach, his eyes were also fixated on the jump. Leaning into my two point position, air swooshes underneath me as Storm and I sail over the fence. We land softly and make our way around another jump before propelling over a vertical.

Storm tosses his head with confidence as we bounce over another two fences. Four fences down, eight to go. The only thing I could hear now was Storm's heavy footsteps on the arena floor.

A fake red brick wall had Storm approaching cautiously, his stride faltering for a milisecond. Storm was use to being able to see through fences, and this wall was bigger then previous ones he's jumped. Thankfully, as we get closer he regains he's confidence.

The jump proves to be no match for Storm as he clears it with plenty of room to spare.

7 fences to go.

The next two jumps were within a couple strides from one another, decorated with brightly coloured flowers. These don't affect Storm as he once again bounces over the jumps at a slightly quicker pace. Shortly after, we fly over another oxer which was placed on an odd angle.

4 fences to go.

As we turn again, I line Storm up with the next jump. It was a single verticle, but also the highest jump in the ring. Tensing, my mind wonders to the fact that it could be knocked down easily. Gripping my reins tightly, Storm strains against the reins wanting to go faster.

But we couldn't go faster, not if we wanted to make the striding. I was almost certain that it was ten strides to this jump. Right?

Wrong! It was eight!

Oh no!! Go faster Taylor!

Immediately, I give Storm his head and he extends his stride just before the jump. I felt like closing my eyes and blocking my ears as we sail over it. I didn't want to hear the rail fall to the ground.

But I couldn't delay hearing the sound of Storms hoof clipping the rail, followed by a thud.

My hopes falls just as quickly.

Sighing, I guide Storm over the final three fences and gain a decent time.

"Taylor Hastings on Wind Storm with a time of 61.47 seconds and four faults"

I try to smile but I couldn't help but to be disappointed with myself. I shouldn't have messed up that striding. I should've just carried through with the ten strides and trusted Storm would make it. Instead I rushed him last minute and lost my chance of winning.

I messed up.

Leaving the arena, I'm joined by Sabrina and Dana.

"That was great Tay" Sabrina comments, giving Storm a pat.

Dana also smiles, dimming my frustrated mood.

"I messed up the striding for the verticle though" I point out.

"Who cares? You're still going to get fourth or fifth place. It's a great result either way" Dana says shrugging.

I sigh. "Yeah, I guess so"

However, my competitive side was still beating me up. I usually had clear rounds, even in jump offs. This was the first time ever where I've not placed in the top 3 for show jumping.

It was going to be a hard pill to swallow.