Fourteen

"Okay. Nonna and Aunt Liz are here, and they've been really excited to see you home. You're gonna get a lot of hugs and kisses," Ariana said as she helped Malcolm out of his car seat.

"I like hugs and kisses. Is Sissy here?"

"Yep."

"I wanna play with her. I missed her."

"You can. Let's go inside okay?"

"Kay kay," Malcolm said running to the door. He turned the knob and pushed it open, immediately running to Joan. "Nonna!"

"Hi, baby!" Joan said, picking him up and kissing his cheek. "I missed you, how are you feeling?"

"Better. I slept for a really long time. Granddad says he loves you. And that you don't have to worry, he still calls you Snugs in heaven."

"You saw Granddad?"

"Yeah. He was nice. He held my hand and told me stories about Mommy. Even the story about how Mommy crashed his car on accident when she was learning how to drive."

"I don't remember that happening."

"You weren't there. We never told anybody," Ariana said.

"Where's Aunt Liz?" Malcolm asked.

"Liz! They're home," Joan said as she put Malcolm down.

Liz walked out of the kitchen and she picked Malcolm up as he ran to her. "Hi, peanut. I missed you," she said, hugging him.

"I missed you too," Malcolm said. "Are you having a baby too?"

Liz laughed. "No."

"It's just Nonna and Mommy," Mac said.

"Oh. Well you should have one so there's boys around," Malcolm said.

"I'll think about it," Liz said as she kissed his head.

"Can Stella play?"

"I suppose," Ariana said as she made her way to the playpen. "Bubba's home, Joanie. You wanna see Bubba?" She asked as she picked the little girl up and stood her on the floor. She watched as her daughter babbled and crawled to her brother, who kissed her cheek.

"I missed you, Sissy," Malcolm said. "Stay away from the stairs."

Ariana looked at Mac for a few seconds. "You guys can go to the play room. No stairs."

"Okay. Come on, Stella," Malcolm said, getting on his hands and knees and crawling with her.

"You still thinking about moving to a one story?" Liz asked.

"Yeah. I know I'm being dramatic but I don't ever want to have to go through this again," Ariana said. "Almost losing one baby was hard enough."

"You're not being dramatic. You're being careful."

"I don't know what I'd do if we had to go through this again... I don't think I could handle it."

"We wouldn't expect you to. But everything will be fine."

------------------------------------------------------

"Stella! Don't hit Nonna's tummy," Ariana said. "There's a baby in there, be easy."

"Baby," Stella said, poking Joan's stomach.

"Yes, baby. Be easy."

"This poor kid's gonna come out with fingerprints," Joan said.

"Well then stop letting her poke you."

"It's cute. She's just curious. You ready to pop yet?"

"I'm dying to be able to get up by myself."

Ariana smiled. "I gotta tell you something."

"What?"

"It's twins."

"I'm pretty sure there's only one of her in there."

"Me. I'm having twins."

"And to think you wanted a home birth."

"I'm still doing that."

"You're nuts."

"Maybe. But twins, Momma... how's a girl get so lucky?"

"You're very blessed. God has a plan for you."

"I can't wait to meet them..."

"Do you know what they are yet?"

"No. But I know I wanna name them after the doctor that took care of Junior."

"What if they're both boys?"

"Her name is Shelby Wilder. And I've always liked Wilder for a name anyways, it's just that we had Junior first and wanted him named after Mac."

"Shelby for a boy?"

"Reba McEntire's son's name is Shelby. No one will care what their names are."

"Hopefully. Whatever you choose will be perfect. You'll know when you see them."

"I hope they're not huge. That'll definitely put a damper on the whole home birth thing."

"Your vagina will never be the same."