twenty five

ariana sniffled, sitting on the edge of nonnas bed as she held her hand, kissing it. the slow blips of the machines she was hooked up to were agonizing. the nurse had turned off her life support after frankie and joan said their goodbyes and were now waiting for nature to take its course. "hi, nonna... it's babydoll," she whispered. "the doctors say you're ready to go home to gramps... i know you're tired... i wanna talk really quick before you go though, okay?" her voice cracked.

she sniffled, kissing nonnas hand again. "i love you more than anything. you'll always be in my heart and mind. and my personality. and the italian accent that comes out when mac really pisses me off. i'm so sorry the triplets didn't get to meet you. i'm gonna make sure they know how amazing you are. you can meet the new baby though... i'm pregnant," she said as she placed nonnas hand on her belly where the baby was pushing against her. "this is marjorie. we're gonna call her mars."

ariana sniffled again, staying silent for a few seconds before she held her hand again and kissed her cheek. "it's okay nonna..." she whispered. "go home... tell the manchester angels i love them. especially saffie."

the sound of a long high pitched flatline emitted through the room and ariana looked at it for a few seconds before letting out a sob and kissing her cheek again "i love you. i love you so much."

———————————————————————-

"i can't believe she kept this stupid phone," frankie said, tossing an old house phone to ariana.

she smiled and ran her fingers over the buttons. "only because i broke your nose with it."

"brat."

"you didn't let me talk to mom."

"she hung up!"

"you were just being mean to me to make me cry. you were as much a dick as i was a brat."

"nuh uh."

"you were both mean," joan said. "now stop arguing and help me open this coffin."

ariana and frankie immediately turned around and gasped.

"no fucking way," ariana said. "who's in there?"

"no one dumb ass," frankie said.

"oh god please be a disgusting rotted mummy," she said as she knelt next to joan.

"creepiana is strong with this one."

"it's not a body you freak," joan said. "it's just old pictures and devices."

"devices? torture devices?" ariana asked. "harsh ones? a guillotine?"

"yeah because nonna fit an entire guillotine in a vampires coffin," frankie said.

"shut up. and you stop fucking kicking me, i'm already tired of your shit," she said, placing a hand on her lower abdomen.

"what are you gonna name it?"

"it's a girl. and we're naming her marjorie," ariana said as she looked at joan. "if moms okay with it."

"your nonna would love that," joan said.

"i know. i wanted to do something to honor her."

"i think she'd be thrilled."

"so like... aris a thriller. like michael jackson's song. zombies..."

ariana looked at him for a few seconds. "i don't know what you're smokin but i want some."