Judging

After that one day of things going how Harry wanted them, Zayn didn't really bounce back like Harry expected.

Each day after that Zayn seemed to sink further and further into his headspace without Harry even having to try.

It'd been a little over a month now, and Harry couldn't believe how much Zayn had changed and how much more he'd warmed up to him.

Harry loved it, and Zayn loved his daddy.

The only time Zayn would drift slightly out of his headspace was when things got heated between the two of them.

Which was often, and Zayn liked it.

Zayn had found a lot of comfort in his headspace.

The deeper he went the better he felt, living off of Harry's attention.

Everything was always perfect.

He always felt so loved, and comfortable, and safe.

But, regardless of how much the headspace was beginning to mean to him, Zayn didn't mind leaving it for a little play time with daddy.

"Don't you wish the rain would go away?" Harry asked quietly, sitting in the window seat in his bedroom with a sleepy Zayn in his lap.

It was almost his nap time.

Zayn shook his head no, sucking on his now favorite black dummy that rarely left his mouth.

"You like the rain?" Harry asked, noticing how much Zayn needed a haircut.

Zayn nodded with a little sigh, blinking slowly and watching the rain.

Things were perfectly peaceful until there was a sudden clap of thunder and flash of lightning, making Zayn and Harry flinch.

Zayn began to cry, not thinking twice about it or trying to hold the tears back anymore.

He just knew he was upset and wanted his daddy to make him feel better.

"Hey, it's okay, you're alright." Harry said softly, holding him tighter.

Zayn squirmed, pointing towards the bed.

"Yeah maybe we should move away from the window now." Harry said, keeping Zayn in his arms as he walked over to the bed.

"You want to take your nap in here with daddy?" Harry asked, noticing how Zayn settled down like he owned the bed.

Zayn looked up at him with those eyes, nodding.

"No more crying." Harry said, wiping his tears away as he got in bed next to him.

He pulled the covers up, and Zayn snuggled up against him.

Zayn tried to say something around his dummy, but it didn't work.

Harry smiled, gently taking it out of his mouth. "What was that?"

"Can we have chicken nuggets for dinner?"

"Of course." Harry said. "Veggies too. We can't just have chicken."

Zayn whined, and Harry kissed his forehead. "You'll be okay." He said softly, putting the dummy back in his mouth.

He held Zayn tightly, stroking his long hair back away from his face until he fell asleep.

°
°
°

"This looks stupid." Zayn complained, glaring at his reflection.

"No it doesn't, it's adorable. Now your hair won't be in your eyes." Harry said.

Harry used a little rubber band to pull Zayn's hair up into a spout on top of his head.

"I don't like it." Zayn pouted, rubbing his eye.

He was still waking up.

"You'll get used to it." Harry said, kissing his cheek.

"Let's go eat." He said quietly.

The two went downstairs into the kitchen, and Zayn sat at the table while Harry fixed dinner.

Chicken nuggets, carrots, and peas.

He served Zayn and gave him a juice box, not having time to get himself a plate before the doorbell rang.

"Eat up." He smiled at Zayn before he left the room.

Zayn grabbed a handful of carrots, hurrying over and dropping them into the trash.

He did the same with some of the peas before wiping his hands on the napkin Harry gave him and sitting back down.

"Niall?" Harry smiled as he opened the door.

"So you still recognize me." Niall joked.

"Of course! Come in." Harry said, stepping aside.

"You didn't return my calls, Harry." Niall said.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I've just been so caught up with Zayn. He's really adjusted well and he's more than I could've ever wanted, Niall." Harry told him.

"That's great, can I meet him?" Niall smiled.

"Of course, c'mon, he's having dinner." Harry said, closing the front door behind them.

Zayn looked up when Harry came back in, his heart dropping when he saw he wasn't alone.

"Zayn, this is Niall. He's a friend of mine, can you say hi?" Harry smiled.

Zayn bit off the rest of the nugget he'd been eating when they walked in, slowly putting it down.

"Hi Zayn." Niall said with a smile, waving.

Zayn blinked, staring at him and blushing.

This wasn't right.

Who was this stranger?

Why was Zayn suddenly embarrassed?

Why was he so uncomfortable now?

"Don't be shy, say hello." Harry said.

Zayn shook his head, sinking down a bit in his chair.

"You don't have to be scared of me, I'm far from threatening." Niall chuckled.

Zayn swallowed, imagining how he must've looked.

Sitting here in a onesie that had 'I love daddy' printed on it with his hair up and a juice box in front of him.

Wearing a nappy and thick socks with little bears on them.

This wasn't okay.

Zayn couldn't find that safe spot anymore with this stranger staring at him. 

Blue eyes digging into his skin.

Judging.

His instinct was to start crying, and it'd been ages since he tried to stop himself from crying, so doing it this time was difficult.

"What's wrong baby?" Harry frowned.

Zayn felt like he was choking.

He didn't say a word, getting up and rushing out of the kitchen.

"What did I do?" Niall frowned, feeling bad now.

Zayn was so adorable, he hadn't meant to scare him.

"I don't think you did anything. I-I'm not sure what's wrong. Make yourself at home okay? Have some nuggets. I'm going to go see what's up." Harry said before he left.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
A/N: uh oh...
-Z