Nineteen

Casey

"This isn't fun!" I yell as I fight foot clan soldiers off. "I died and now I'm fighting you bozos! How is that fair? Why can't I get a moment to rest?" I grumble and hold up my hocky stick, blocking one's sword. "I'm just here to get my daughter and you're in my way." I say and knock him onto his back. "Lay off man. If you had kids you'd understand."

"If you were a dad you'd understand!" April yells as she fights one with a baseball bat, hitting him in the side of the head and heaving a breath, looking at me. "I am a dad." I say and she glares at me. "Your daughter hates hockey. She's always hated it."
"She loves it! She's the best on the team."

I swing at another, knocking him into the wall. "She's the best because she wants to impress you. She wants you to love her."
"I do love her." I say and punch a clan member in the face. "Ow that hurt." I say and craddle my hand. "If you love her respect her decision to leave the team." April says and moves towards me. "I thought she loved ice hockey." I say breathing heavily. I look up to my ex wife. She puts her hands on her hips and shakes her head. "Why didn't she tell me?" I whisper and sit on the floor. "You're her father. She didn't want to hurt your feelings. She loves you."

I sigh and put my arm over my face. "She loves you too you know." I say and peek at April when she scuffs. "She wouldn't have run away."
"She was scared. I would have done the same."
"Why doesn't she want to live with me? Am I a bad mother?" She asks and I sit up. "No way! You're amazing! She talks about how amazing you are everytime she gets home. She loves you and worships you. I think it's just easier for her to live with me. I'm laid back."
"Oh and I'm not?"
"No I just mean I'm less controlling."
"Now I'm controlling?"

I grit my teeth and fumble for words. "That's not what I mean. It's just I-you-she." I  sigh and look into April's eyes. "She loves you. She wants to be with you. She just feels it's easier to do things. Hang out with friends. Run away. I'm lenient. Way too lenient. I don't really watch her. But you, she wouldn't have run away if she was with you."

April smiles and looks away. "I just wish we could give her a better life than this. She deserves better."
"After we get her back we'll move."
"I'm not leaving my daughter." April says angerly and I raise my hands. "No, no. I meant we as in all of us. Me, you, (Y/n)." She looks at me and looks away. "You mean..." She trails off and I grab her hands. "April, I want you. I want us to be a family again. I love you." She looks into my eyes and I can tell she's contemplating it. She opens her mouth but there's a scream. "(Y/n)!"