Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

After Sam hung up the phone, he told Emily everything that Charlie had told him.

"I think Josh is the key," she said.

"You think?"

"He steps onto the rez and things start happening."

"They were happening before."

"Not at this pace, they weren't."

"We need to wake him up," said Sam.

"Yes, we do. I think we need him."

Sam grumbled at that but he couldn't fault her logic. "How do we wake him?"

"I'm thinking."

Sam trusted Emily and she often helped him think things through that concerned the pack.

"Let's see," she muttered. "La Push, land, wolves, packs, families, blood… blood!"

"We bleed him?"

"No." He got a look for that answer. "This is all about bloodlines. Only the families are phasing, right?"

"Right."

"Take Nate over."

"Nate? Our son."

"Josh's grandson. Take him over and tell him to wake his grandfather up. Or something."

"It can't hurt." He shrugged.

"It'll work," she insisted.

He kissed Emily, patted her stomach and went to wake his son up. Probably wasn't asleep yet, anyway, the little rascal. But he was, curled up in his racing car bed.

Sam studied him for a minute. Maybe Emily was right.

Bloodlines.

He scooped him up into his arms.

"Dadda?" a tiny voice asked.

"Let's go out for a little while, Nate." He wound a blanket around him and headed over to the Black's.

Billy was up but still using his wheelchair. He already looked ten years younger. Sam thought he wasn't actually younger, just looked it. Not being ill or dying made a huge difference.

"How are the feet?"

"Still hurting, but I can feel it healing."

"Yeah. I know what you mean. Healed a few things super-fast. It itches."

He paused.

"I heard about Rebecca. I'm sorry."

"Best thing."

"I suppose."

"Emily had an idea to try and wake Josh up." He lifted Nate in his arms.

"Okay."

They went into the bedroom.

Sam sat Nate up a little. He was awake but drowsy. "Nate, this is my father."

"Dadda?"

"Yes. So he is your grandfather. I know we said you didn't have one."

"Gran'father?" he checked.