Chapter 30

Chapter 30 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

Alice's vision showed that Santiago wasn't in Volterra and Aro insisted that he was the one to go the United States, so it took him a day or so to get back from North Africa and to get his instructions. Another junior guard with no psychic gifts was appointed to accompany him. They waited until after dark to leave for Rome and catch a commercial flight to Anchorage, Alaska. The flight from Rome to Alaska took eleven hours and then the pair had to travel out to Denali. They stole a car and drove out in five hours. They did not warn the coven that they were coming.

Alice didn't tell them either, she knew the guards only wanted information.

Jasper rang Billy and said that they had contacted Edward and were waiting for him to join them. The family would only act if Edward voted for it.

"I can pretty much assure you that we will be there, but we'd prefer to wait for Edward's decision. It will take him a day or so to reach us and maybe a few more days for the next two guards to reach the US. They haven't left yet. Alice thinks they will touch down on the 1st."

"I understand. Thank you."

"You can have a party for New Years' Eve."

"We might light a bonfire or two."

"Oh, Emmett wants to know if you killed Demetri?"

"Yes. He ran into a patrol of three wolves: Embry, Quil and Paul."

Jake, who was listening in, fist pumped at his father.

"Awww… dammit," Emmett complained in the background.

Billy chuckled. "Tell him Paul complained about the velvet getting stuck in his teeth."

"He would," Jasper said.

"The next one's ours," Emmett called out. "Then we are level pegging."

"Bring it on, yellow eyed devil," Jake called back.

"Do you want me to make you a dog bowl, boy?" Emmett retorted.

Candie, the girl Quil had helped with her flat tire, proved to be more tenacious than anyone had thought she'd be. They were trying to shut the borders of the rez, but she got through somehow. She came looking for Quil and she turned up at the shop to ask directions to his house. Luckily for her, it was her first stop.

Quil, who lived out the back, heard her voice. He came rushing around; the door slammed behind him, before he stopped, stared at her and blurted out, "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you; you big silly."

"But… you … can't."

Joy Ateara looked at her son's face and knew this girl was special to him, plus, she'd tracked him down. She wasn't going to be leaving without a fuss. "She's here now, Quil. Don't be rude."

"Mom… this is Candie. With an 'ie'."

"Oh, is she your mom?"

"Yeah."

"Hi!" she gushed at Joy.

"Hello," Joy said carefully.

Quil looked so nervous and Joy took pity on him. "What lovely nails," she said. "Did you do them yourself?"