Chapter 25

Chapter 25 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

"We can talk now," Charlie interrupted.

Bella nearly jumped out of her skin. Josh grinned. "You knew he was there," she accused.

"You said you'd be around before and then you took off to Seattle."

"I know, Dad."

Charlie made a huff noise. "Let me put it another way… we ARE talking. Right now, young lady."

"Okay, Dad." She knew Josh was watching her and Charlie couldn't see his face.

Josh made a 'now don't be rude to your father face' at her, but said, "I'll catch up with you later. Lunch at the Clearwaters, remember?"

She nodded and squeezed his hand for a reply.

He nodded at Charlie but they didn't shake hands; Charlie's hands were shoved deep in his pockets and his whole body looked tense.

Bella did not like the look of that. "Where do you want to talk?"

"With all of them with super hearing there is virtually nowhere to talk privately."

"Why don't we just walk down to First Beach?"

They walked there in silence and sat on the picnic tables opposite the tourist shop. Charlie stood again, abruptly, as if he couldn't stand to be still.

"I cannot believe how many times in that little talk, you nearly died. I never liked Edward," he said.

She was silent. They were not related but she could see how those two things were linked in her father's mind.

"I always felt as if I was losing you… before the wedding. As if you weren't growing up and getting married, but as if you were going to be… just… gone."

"You were right."

"You wanted to die?"

"I loved him."

"A VAMPIRE? An honest to God, bloodsucking dead thing?"

"Yes." Her voice was tiny. "I thought they were strong and beautiful."

"Sue told me about vampires, but I didn't quite put it together what the Cullens were and I should have - they were so different. I remember telling Deputy Mark that Dr Cullen was the best doctor we ever had because he didn't seem to sleep." He let out an ugly laugh.

Charlie shook his head and turned his back, staring out to sea. "I promised myself I wouldn't shout at you."

She saw him take a deep breath.

"How old is Josh?"

"I asked. He's forty five."

"Forty five," he repeated.

Bella was well aware that her father was forty seven; it was 2011 and he was born in 1964.

"And I suppose because you two are tied together by this weirdo wolf thingy-"

"Imprinting?"

"-that there's nothing I can do about it."

"Would you have tried to break Josh and me up?"