Chapter 55

Chapter 55 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

Embry had moved from upset to more annoyed with Sam. "If he leaves this is your fault."

Sam sighed and wiped the tears from his face. "He won't leave… you're being ridiculous."

"Ridiculous? Shit, at least I didn't pile all my guilt crap onto him and freak him out."

"It was the truth, Embry. And if you keep him close without being truthful… that would make a bigger mess."

"He's my father," Embry wailed. "I want him to be around. Even if I am too old to appreciate it."

"Stop it! Both of you," Jake ordered.

Leah rose to her feet and stood right in Embry's face.

"Embry Call!" Leah roared at him.

He stopped talking and he almost took a step back.

"This is your brother." Leah pointed at Sam. "This is not how you treat brothers. I know you've never had one before, but Jake and I got a tiny percentage of whatever the fuck Sam showed Josh and you are behaving like this is all about you. Josh is not going to leave and even if he did, you shouting at Sam is not going to stop it happening. So, stop panicking and have some fucking sympathy."

Jake's eyebrows raised. Leah was the pack female in action.

Embry blinked at her. "Sorry, Leah."

"You take him home," Leah ordered. "And don't apologize to me."

"Okay. Sorry, Sam," he muttered.

Jake was silent and watchful.

Helping Sam to his feet, he and Embry embraced and then started to walk slowly back towards the reservation.

Jake went to follow, but Leah grabbed his arm. "Wait."

When they were sure the other two were out of earshot, Leah said, "Did you get any of what Sam was projecting?"

"Some glimpses here and there."

"I think Sam is more damaged than anyone has realized."

"Maybe." Jake glanced after the two brothers.

"He kept such a tight lid on his head over that Emily thing. Most of us didn't even know what had caused his explosive phase. And it was what? Six years ago, Jake."

"He's still not over it."

"This is going to sound weird… but have you noticed something odd about Sam and Emily?"

"No, but I didn't spend months obsessively glaring at them."

She rolled her eyes. "I didn't hate them. Remember? I said to you that I wanted Sam to be happy. I just didn't see why I needed to see it all the time. That was all."

"I remember." He grinned at her.

"So… how can I explain this? If you hurt Angela… and it left a scar, would you prefer to forget about that scar? Would you just not see it? Pretend it doesn't exist. It never happened."

"I'd hate reminding her that I hurt her. Not that I ever would."

"If it was an accident, say."

"Why?' His eyes narrowed at her.