Chapter 44

Chapter 44 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

"Where's Billy?" Josh asked.

Jake rolled his eyes. "He got all formal. He wants to meet our new allies with every single wolf standing behind him."

"I get that," Josh said. "And he'll be standing, too."

"Sure, sure. Trust Dickwad to ruin it by jumping the gun."

"And just what were you two snorting about?" Bella asked.

"Shirtless," Jake said.

She laughed. "You are, too. I don't even see it anymore."

Josh pouted dramatically.

"I see you, honey," she apologized.

Embry patted Jake on the shoulder. "Let's go. Are you two walking?"

Josh looked the question at Bella.

"I…" She took a breath and reached for Josh's hand. "Yes. We'll walk back."

They watched the truck drive away.

Josh just started walking with her and waited; she'd talk when she was ready.

"That was so… horribly awkward," she said after a few minutes silence.

He nodded. "It is almost impossible not to think things at a mind reader."

"I did my best."

"I know. You really did. You did well. That wasn't easy for you."

"It's hard to explain—"

"No, I get it. You broke it off with all of them; not just Edward."

"Yes. And you two behaving like children." She hugged him. Her hands pressing against his back, holding him as tightly as she was physically able to. Pressing her face in against his bare chest. He felt her take a shuddery breath. He held her, breathing her in. She was his, he knew that. And she was here, standing in the forest, holding him as if he was the one she was frightened of losing. He turned his head and rested his cheek on the top of her head. A gentle rocking motion comforted her until they were almost breathing in sync.

"The wolf?" she mumbled against his skin.

"Doesn't like him."

"Is he okay?"

"He's fine, now. Do you want a ride back?"

Her face brightened. "I've never done that." Her eyes glinted. "You'll have to take your clothes off."

He raised one eyebrow. "I know. You want to hold them?"

"I'll hold anything you want."

He chuckled. "Promises, promises." He held her face in his hands, stroking his thumbs over her cheeks. "You are so strong. Look at you."

"I don't feel strong."

"You're anxious and worried and your stomach is tied in a knot and none of that makes you weak."

"Just human."

"Exactly. And I love you."

She kissed him almost desperately.