Chapter 61

Chapter 61 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

[AN: I misread the diamond pricing tables. It is actually a sliding scale. A single 1 carat diamond costs a whole lot less per carat than a ten carat stone does per carat. So the actual selling price could be from $40k a carat up to $225k per carat - oopsies. I picked somewhere in the middle for such a clear stone cut into an unusual shape.

Also, people expressed concern about the age of Joy getting pregnant. Quil is 21, so Joy could be mid 40's. I asked my gynecologist about all this and after giving me some very odd looks, he explained that most people who have fertility issues skew the age younger because they have issues that are unrelated to age. He sees a lot of women who have no problems and he sees a few unexpected change of life babies. One patient was 49 and having her first child. The chances are lower, but increased if you have already had a child, and with super wolfy sperm? It could happen.]

Josh, Billy and Carlisle were chatting in the hall. Sitting on the backless bench, long legs stretched out and elbows leaning on the table behind them. "She gave us how much?" Billy asked for the tenth time.

Carlisle smiled. "Just under a million. Emmett got a very good price for the stone."

"A million. Every cent … given away…" He looked at Josh. "That girl…" He shook his head.

Josh shook his head. He knew she was happier giving it away; both the money and the stone. "She's special. We owe your family a debt, as well," he said to Carlisle.

"It was hers to do with as she wished," Carlisle said.

They all glanced at the door when Thomas Uley came in; he was obviously in a hurry, and after looking about, he came right to them.

"There's a guy at the border," he said to Billy. "He says he's Kaylee's father. He wants her and Alex back."

"Hell, no," said Josh.

Thomas looked irritated. "We didn't let him past, told him the rez was closed, but he's real angry and ugly with it, you know?"

"How did he know they were here?" Billy asked.

"Some moron at the trailer park told him she went with a big Indian."

"And he came right here," Josh said sarcastically.

"We could lie? Say we've never heard of her?" Billy suggested.

"She ran away from him, didn't she?" Carlisle asked. "Seth talked to Esme about her."

"She's terrified of this guy," Josh said. "We cannot let her go with him."

"So she needs to see him gone." Billy stood. "Thomas, you go back and tell him that she's on her way. Josh, get Alex. I'll find Seth. We'll meet at the border in fifteen minutes."

"He's not going to like it," Carlisle said.

"Seth? He has to trust her."

"No, I meant this guy when he doesn't get what he wants."

Josh laughed. "Should we call Charlie?"

"A police witness would be a good idea."

It took them more than fifteen minutes to get everyone to the border. Charlie was there in full uniform on his side of the border. He leaned on the open door of the squad car and tried to look like he didn't recognize anyone and didn't actually live on the other side of the line from where he was standing. They all watched a car drive up and then a truck with a few people riding in the back of it.