Chapter 56

Chapter 56 - I'll be home for Christmas

Disclaimer: the characters and all recognisable situations belong to Stephenie Meyer - this is a work of fan fiction, except for the legends and histories of the Quileute that, of course, belong to them. I pay my respects to their gods.

Thanks to BanSidhe [ruadh sidhe] and Feebes86 for betaing and pre-reading.

Quil and Ellen were chatting in bed one night. Candie had a late client.

"I don't know," said Quil, lying flat on his back with his hands folded behind his head. "Everyone is so tense. Poor Candie is busy giving them deep body massages and heat treatments. She's real tired lately and she had to cut her nails."

"We'll look after her when she gets home. People are tense. It's Armageddon," Ellen said as she moved to sit on Quil's hips.

"Arma -whaddon?"

"End of the world stuff."

"Nah."

Ellen grinned at him. Quil was unsinkable. He believed that it would all work out and he felt that if he believed it hard enough, it would all work out.

"Okay, my super confident wolf man, why do you think we will survive?"

Quil frowned. "Ten high quality wolves-" He stopped suddenly, concerned that Ellen as a newer wolf wasn't included in that group. "No offense."

"None taken."

"You're quality in a different way," he assured her.

She laughed. "Sweet talker. Go on."

"Let's call them ten awesomely well trained wolves. I can't even add up how many vampires we have taken down over the years. Maybe twenty from the last Bella battle."

"Bella battle? I like it."

"Plus a few nomads here and there. And that super Volturi tracker dude. We are hot shit!"

"I'll pay that. Agreed."

"Plus, we have … what… sixteen new wolves? Like you," He kissed her quickly. "Who have their own super skills and bring age and maturity."

She raised an eyebrow. "And magic. Like Josh."

"And magic. Plus, Rachel phased as well and we have the yellow eyed helpers."

"The Cullens. Yes, I love Emmett. Flirt with him and he flirts right back."

Quil frowned at her.

"Oooh. And we have Bella with her shield ability," she added.

"Right. So these ventolin-"

"Volturi," she corrected, for about the hundredth time.

"Vulture guys have been living the cushy, bully life. Their rep scares people. I reckon they haven't had a good fight in centuries."

She gave him an appraising look. "That makes sense. I hope you are right."

He held her at the hips and pushed her down onto him. "Coz you're on a good thing."

"Yes… I am," she cooed at him. "Should we wait for Candie?"

"I'll be good to go again by the time she gets here, and if she arrives half way through, she'll just join in."

Ellen kissed him.

[Trigger warning: girls fighting]

The voice droned on. Half the pack was not listening. Jake had a weary look on his face.