Chapter 3

There was a ring on the doorbell. Emma stood up reluctantly to answer it. David had told her to have the week off with no pay as punishment. She was feeling really angry and upset about it and didn't really want to talk to anyone. But still she unlocked and opened the door, to see the face of her mother, Mary Margaret.
"Oh, Emma..." Her mother sighed and pulled her into a hug, "How are you feeling?" She looked at her daughter's sleep-deprived face.
"I just don't understand." Emma whispered, "I've never seen him act so... so violent." Mary Margaret nodded in silence. Emma gestured her to come in but she shook her head. She took a deep breath in and said, "Emma, I think you should go to the station. Now." Emma looked at her mother, puzzled.
"But I..."
"No just go, Emma." The sad, frightened tone to her mum's voice made her scared. What had David done? She began to panic. She grabbed her red leather jacket and her car keys and jumped into her bug.
"Emma!" Her mum called as she was closing the car door, "Don't hurt him."
With that Emma drove away, unsure what to expect at the station.
~~
"REGINA!" Emma screamed, as she ran into the station. The cell door was open, but Regina lay unconscious on the floor, blood dripping from her head, nose and several cuts on her arms. Emma rushed to her side. She was frantic. She tried to wake her, but Regina wasn't responding. Emma jumped up and called an ambulance. Just after she put the phone down, David stormed into the station. Emma stood up and ran to protect Regina.
"Dad! I won't let you hurt her anymore! Why would you do this?" Emma cried breaking into tears. David just stared at her.
"David?!" She wanted an answer.
"She's evil. She tricked you into caring for her and now... well now you're a disgrace."
"What? What do you mean?" Emma said in a hurry, knowing the answer this time. David stepped forward quickly, causing Emma to shelter Regina's lifeless body.
"See." David spat, "You care for her. You're a freak. You're no daughter of mine." And with that he ran, leaving Emma disowned, lost and listening to the sirens of the nearing ambulance. It all seemed to go by in a blur. As if she was just watching it on TV or reading it in a book. But she wasn't. She was watching the paramedics carry her sons beautiful adoptive mother away. And she didn't know what to do.