Chapter 23

Regina stepped out of the back of the taxi, closely followed by Emma, who grabbed her hand and squeezed it. Zelena climbed out the front and the doctor, who they now knew as Lily also got out. Lily let out a gasp when she saw the size of Regina's house and they all giggled slightly at her surprised face. Then they all headed down the path to the front door, where Regina let herself in for the first time in too long. The house was the same as when she'd left. She walked through to the kitchen smiling at Emma, but suddenly she stopped dead and her smile vanished. Emma put her hand on Regina's lower back.
"Are you okay? What's wrong?" Emma looked from Regina to the spot on the floor her eyes seemed to be fixed on. Blood. Emma's blood was still stained on the floor from the night Regina attacked her. Emma scolded herself inside. She should of cleaned that up!
"It's okay! Come on. Let's go upstairs and you can get changed." Emma said guiding Regina out of the kitchen. She looked at Zelena who nodded, understanding, before following Regina up the stairs. Zelena watched them go, then searched Regina's cupboards for cleaning fluid. She bent down and stared at the blood for a little while. There was more than she would have expected.
"Are you okay?" Lily asked, making her jump.
"I'm fine." Zelena replied and she quickly wiped away the stain. Meanwhile upstairs Regina fell down on her bed. Emma walked through the door to see her staring up at the ceiling, tears once again running down her face. She sat down and brushed the tears away gently. Regina took Emma's hand and held it to her chest.
"What happened? You were so happy?" Emma said quietly. Regina sighed.
"I've been trying to forget that morning the entire time I was in that place. And coming back here... it just brought it all back..." Regina let herself break down in front of her girlfriend. Emma put Regina's head in against her chest and cuddled into her, kissing her scalp lightly.
"That morning was better than all the mornings I had to spend without you. I missed you. I love you!" Regina smiled up at Emma who kissed her lips softly.
"I love you too."
~~
Henry raced in and flew straight into Regina's arms, almost knocking her flat out. Lily tried to tell him to be careful, as she was very weak still, but Regina just shushed her. Emma ran in after Henry, swiftly followed by her parents. Zelena, who had stayed the night at Regina's, because Emma couldn't, came to the door and introduced herself to the family. Then Regina smiled and showed them all to the living room. She was about to follow them in, but Emma grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her in for a kiss. Regina smiled into it and put her arms around Emma's neck.
"I love you." She whispered as they parted.
"I love you too." Emma smiled before taking her hand and walking into the living room. They sat down on the sofa, with Henry in between them, all three of them beaming from ear to ear. Lily smiled at them all, but none of them really responded.
"This is Lily, by the way. My doctor." Regina said introducing her. No response.
"Guys, say hello. It isn't her fault I need a doctor. Or supervising." They all mumbled a quick hello, making Regina roll her eyes. She glanced towards Lily and gave a subtle apology, which Lily accepted, giggling slightly. Henry lent into Regina, who put her arm around him. He looked up at her and smiled.
"I'm so glad you're home, Mom!" Regina smiled back and cuddled him in closer. She then looked up at Emma.
"I'm glad to be home too." Emma smiled at Regina and for a moment it was like it was only those three in the room. Nobody else.
"So, how were you last night?" Mary Margaret asked, breaking their little moment. Regina turned to face her, but Zelena jumped in and answered, before she got the chance.
"There was a lot of screaming, but we know now, thanks to Lily, that we just have to put her hand in cold water and she'll wake up." Emma looked over at Regina.
"That's great! It means we can wake you up, before you can get... you know..."
"Out of control." Regina finished. Emma looked down not wanting to reply.
"It also means I'm never going to be able to go to sleep unsupervised though." Regina only sighed in annoyance, but she was screaming inside. Emma squeezed her shoulder and Regina gave a weak smile. She looked at Emma and suddenly it hit her. She was going to ask Emma and Henry to move in with her. Yes! That way she would never be alone.