Chapter 20

"Hey, Em. How are you?" Mary Margaret walked into Emma's apartment and sat down on the sofa. The room was a mess. There was rubbish and takeaway packages scattered everywhere, piles of dirty dishes in the sink and a mountain of dirty washing beside the washing machine. Emma sighed, as she watched her mothers eyes scan the room.
"I'm struggling..." Emma managed to whisper. Mary Margaret sighed and hugged her daughter.
"I know. We will get through this. I promise." Emma pushed her away.
"How can you say that? Regina is slowly dying in that cell and what are we doing? Watching! We are just WATCHING! I have to save her! I have to do something, because right now I feel so... so useless." Emma slumped into a chair, too tired to cry. Mary Margaret just stared at her.
"Emma. What can we do? She's lost hope." Emma thought about it for a second.
"Then that's the answer!" She jumped up and grabbed her coat, before turning to a confused Mary Margaret.
"We have to give her hope! Let's go!" Emma sped out of the apartment and Mary Margaret followed, unsure what was going on. They got into Emma's bug and drove to the hospital. She walked towards the door to the mental-instability ward. Tink looked in surprise as she marched towards the desk.
"Emma?" She asked.
"Do you have a peice of paper?" She said, pulling a pen from the pocket of her leather jacket.
"Um... Yeah." Tink moved a couple of files out of the way, before finding and handing Emma a crumpled sheet of lined paper.
"And the keys?" Tink nodded and gave them to her. Emma smiled and headed down the dark hall, to Regina's cell. She looked into the room and the world paused. Everytime she stared into that room everything just stopped. Mary Margaret touched her shoulder, causing her to jump. She looked at her mother and then continued with her plan. Leaning against the door, she wrote a couple of lines on the paper, before she began folding it carefully. Mary Margaret watched her and giggled a little, as her daughter held up a perfectly made paper aeroplane. Then she picked up the keys, which she'd dropped on the floor and opened the door a tiny bit. Regina had her eyes closed and Emma was so dainty and careful that she didn't even hear the door open. Emma then threw the paper aeroplane into the cell and watched it land beside Regina, touching her hand lightly. The blonde closed the door, before Regina could open her eyes and pulled her mother away. She smiled at Mary Margaret, who was creeping back to retrieve the keys, that Emma had left in the lock. She crept back to Emma and handed her the keys, which Emma then went and gave to Tink. Once they'd left the hospital and were in Emma's car, Mary Margaret spoke.
"So just inform me of this crazy plan you seem to have begun." Emma looked across at her mother, fairly pleased with herself.
"It's simple. When I go and see Regina she usually never sees me and she doesn't have anything to keep her spirits up in that dank ce...room. If I can make her smile at least once a day, eventually she'll start looking forward to my gifts and notes and they'll begin to give her hope."