Chapter 29

Regina examined herself in the mirror. She huffed lightly. It just didn't look good enough. She was wearing a tight black dress, with an open back and black stilettos on her feet. Her hair was curled slightly and her makeup was light, but noticeable. She couldn't work out where she was going wrong, but something was missing. She suddenly felt Emma's arms curl around her waist. She smiled, and turned around to hug her properly. Emma stood back, after a moment, to admire Regina's outfit choice. She cocked her head a little, before walking into the bathroom. She came back with a diamond necklace which she placed around Regina's neck carefully. Both of them smiled.
"Perfect!" Emma said happily. Regina kissed her softly and grabbed her hand, pulling her downstairs.
"Let's go!" She said and Emma opened the door, allowing Regina to leave the house. They climbed into Emma's bug and headed to Grannys, where they were meeting the others. When they got there, they walked in to find it completely deserted. Regina gasped,
"Have we come at the wrong time? What's going on?" She looked around the diner which was covered in rose petals and candles. They were laid out on the floor in the shape of a heart. Regina looked at Emma who was now in the middle of the heart, down on one knee and gasped, putting her hands over her mouth. Tears immediately sprung to her eyes.
"Emma?" She stammered.
Emma smiled and took her hands and Regina stepped into the heart with her. Then Emma delved her hand in her pocket, pulling out a velvet box.
"Regina, when I met you my life spiralled into a chain of unwanted, unplanned, crazy events. But I never cared and I still don't because through it all, we've been together. There wasn't one minute where you weren't trying to protect me or love me. I can't tell you how much you mean to me and I would like to spend the rest of my life laughing and crying with you. Loving and caring for you. So, Regina Mills, will you marry me?" Emma said, her voice beginning to wobble towards the end, as tears began to fall from her eyes. Regina nodded, unable to speak and let Emma slip the ring on her finger. The blonde stood up and hugged Regina close.
"I love you." They both said at the same time and laughed as they did. They kissed eachother passionately, before just hugging again. Emma could feel Regina shaking in shock and made sure to hold her tightly. Then suddenly the lights came on and all their friends and family jumped out.
"SURPRISE!" They all shouted. Regina's jaw dropped and Emma giggled at her reaction.
"Surprise?" She said, as the brunette took it all in. Everyone was there. Henry, Mary Margaret, David, Zelena, Ruby, Graham, Belle, Anna. Everyone. Regina shook her head, laughing and kissed Emma again. Then the music began and everyone started talking, eating, drinking and even dancing. After speaking to just about everyone at the party, Regina pulled Emma aside and kissed her sweetly.
"So how long did it take you to organise this, Miss Swan?" She asked. Emma smiled and shrugged.
"Only a week or so. I've been planning it for months though." Regina tilted her head.
"But I was in the hospital months ago." Emma nodded.
"I know. I started planning it before that. I knew back then that I wanted to be with you and after I almost lost you... twice! Well I couldn't wait. But obviously I wasn't expecting any of that other stuff to happen, but I'm so glad it did, because I wouldn't have known to invite Zelena or Belle or Tink or Anna. So there would have been no where near as many people to celebrate with." Regina smiled and kissed Emma again. Then she admired her ring.
"We're engaged!!" She squealed. Emma laughed and hugged her.
"I'm so happy right now." Regina sighed.
"Me too." Emma agreed and they hugged for a good few minutes longer. They were just too comfortable in each others arms.
"Um... hi. Sorry to interrupt..." They heard a voice behind them and pulled away. They turned to see a guy standing casually, just looking at Emma, who gasped.
"Neal?" She asked they guy, who nodded and hugged her, picking her up and spinning her around.
"God I missed you!" He said, before slamming his lips against Emma's. She pushed him away instantly and Regina lunged grabbing her fiancé and pulling her back.
"What the hell, Neal?" Emma shouted. He looked at her confused and hurt. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at them.
"I thought... Well I thought we..." He tried to explain himself, but Emma cut him off.
"You thought we what? Did no one tell you this was an engagement party?" She spat out, putting her arm around Regina. It took a moment but he realised what was going on. Regina stepped forward at this point and looked at Emma.
"Who is this, babe?" She asked calmly. Emma locked eyes with her and answered.
"His name is Neal Cassidy. We were together for a while, before I came to Storybrooke. Baby, he's Henry's..."
"Dad?" Henry finished stepping forward. Neal turned around to face the fifteen year old and his jaw dropped. He turned back to Emma quickly.
"I have a son?" He said, "I have a son and you never told me?" Emma shook her head.
"I gave him up, when I had him, because I gave birth in jail. Where you left me remember? Anyway, Regina took him in until I came here when he was ten and took back custody. I never got the chance to tell you. I'd long forgotten you by then." Emma stated. Neal shook his head and looked back at Henry. Then he barged past everyone, straight out the front door. They saw him drive off and Henry shed a tear in disappointment. Emma and Regina hugged him.
"I'm sorry you had to meet him that way, Henry." Emma sighed. Henry managed to shrug it off for the sake of the night and the party continued, but rumors began going around about the intruder and Emma was bombarded with questions from her parents and friends. Later that night Emma climbed into bed with Regina and just lay beside her. The brunette looked at her in confusion and worry. She cuddled into Emma and looked up at her.
"Babe, what's wrong?" Regina asked, resting her chin on Emma's chest. The blonde sighed and put her arms around Regina.
"This was supposed to be the perfect night. It was supposed to be our night, but as usual something came along and wrecked it." She sighed, her lip wobbling a little. Regina sat up and placed her hand on Emma's cheek.
"Emma. It was the perfect night. I loved every minute of it and I've never been happier." She said, smiling.
"But Neal ruined it. He barged in and ruined everything. Just like he did to me all those years ago. He barged into my life and ruined it." She cried, tears falling down her cheeks.
"Oh, Emma!" Regina sighed, hugging her tightly.
"No. He didnt ruin my life completely. He gave me Henry and Henry led me to you." She sniffed, "But tonight...I'm so sorry. It was meant to be perfect..." Emma muttered. Regina lifted her chin and looked her straight in the eyes.
"Do you know what? It was perfect. Because what I love about us as a couple is that we can get through anything and still enjoy what we have. And that's what we did tonight. Even after Neal tried to intrude, we still managed to have a good time. And that's what I love about us. What I love about you." Regina said. Emma smiled so widely and kissed her fianceé.
"God, I love you so much." The blonde sighed. Regina smirked a little.
"Good! Because you're stuck with me!"