Chapter 9

Emma stood opposite the second cell. Regina was sat on the bed with her head in her hands. Emma hadn't wanted to lock her up, but Regina had insisted. Emma couldn't stand it any longer. She took the keys and opened the door. At this though Regina jumped up and pressed her back against the wall.
"Don't come any nearer, Emma. I'm a monster." Regina cried. Emma shook her head and took the shaking woman's hands. She tried to pull away, but Emma held on.
"No. You're not a monster. You're beautiful." Emma looked into her eyes before kissing her passionately. Regina couldn't help but melt into it, before pulling away. Then she put her hand on Emma's cheek and smiled.
"You're so much more beautiful." They kissed again and Emma tried to pull Regina out of the cell. However the Mayor grabbed the keys, pushed Emma away - out of the cell - and locked herself in. Tears were streaming down her face as she threw the keys onto her bed.
"Regina! No! Please... You're not dangerous!" Emma begged reaching through the bars. Regina took her hand and kissed it lightly.
"But I am." She stuttered. Emma pulled her closer. The bars were a slight problem but they managed another kiss. Regina stroked Emma's hair before stroking her cheek.
"Oh, Regina..." Emma began crying again.
"I won't leave you." She stammered. Regina nodded and let go of her. She resumed the position of putting her head on her hands, only this time with her back against the bars. Emma did the same and they sat together, but not together for so long Emma fell asleep.
~~
"Mom! Mom!" Henry shouted at Emma. He tried bending down and shaking her awake, but she stayed still. Regina, however, stood up and stared at Henry from behind the bars. She sighed lovingly, but he backed away.
"Henry..." she didn't have the words to finish. He just shook his head.
"Please... let me explain. Let me talk to you."
"NO!" Henry screamed, throwing a paperwork file, that was on Emma's desk, straight at the cell. They fell and landed right beside Emma, jolting her awake. She jumped up and went to comfort Henry.
"Hey, kid! What's wrong? Are you okay?"
"I just came to see where you were. You didn't come home last night. Now I see why." Henry glared at Regina, who was trying not to cry.
"Look you don't understand. She didn't mean to do it. She's not crazy." Emma tried to reason with him.
"Then why is she in prison?" Henry growled.
"She sort of vandalised her own car. In her sleep. She insisted on being locked up for her own and everyone else's safety."
Henry took a deep breath.
"In your sleep?" He questioned Regina.
"I get night terrors. It was all in my sleep. The potions, the explosion. All of it." Regina explained. She touched the scar on her lip that she'd got that day and winced at the memory. It was the day they'd taken Henry away. Emma went and took Regina's hand through the bars. She then beckoned Henry to come over. Gingerly he walked to the cell. Emma took his hand and put it in Regina's. He smiled.
"Mom..." he whispered to Regina, who moved instantly closer.
"Henry..." she smiled. Emma stepped back and watched them sort of hug through the bars.
"Come home with us, Mom. Let yourself out." Henry said, smiling and clearly expecting a good response. Instead though Regina shook her head and backed away.
"I can't... I'm dangerous."
"No you're not." Emma protested.
"I am! I drove my car to my office and destroyed it, while I was asleep! That isn't normal!" Regina began crying again. She was devastated. She'd finally got her son back, but she couldn't go anywhere near him in fear of hurting him again. Henry put his hand through the bars again and Regina touched it lightly.
"Henry, go home. Stay away from here. I can't ruin you again." She sobbed. Henry shook his head and Emma took a hold of him. She had to drag him and herself away. What else could she do?