Chapter 5

Emma awoke to the sound of screaming. Regina was sat bolt up in the hospital bed crying and shouting. Emma jumped to side and shook her awake.
"Regina! Regina can you hear me?" Emma tried desperately, until finally she saw the same look in her eyes she had done in the prison cell. She was awake.
"Em... Emma? Where..."
"It's okay," Emma said, crying but smiling, "You're safe. I promise." With that she cuddled into Regina, holding her tightly, never wanting to let go. She sighed deeply. A doctor ran through the door to see them sitting together. He had to interrupt the moment to take Regina's blood pressure and double check her heart rate and blood sugar levels. After she got the all-clear, she was discharged and allowed home. Emma drove her to her mansion, where she helped her get to bed to rest. Emma stood at the bedroom door, smiling at the Mayor. Regina patted the bed beside her and Emma sat gently down. Regina snuggled in and looked up at her.
"Thank you so much." She whispered in her silky soft voice. Emma couldn't help herself, she lent down and kissed Regina's soft lips. Regina was surprised, but immediately returned the kiss, before pulling away.
"Stay with me?" Regina pleaded.
"Of course." Emma said, before bending down and kissing her again. Then they cuddled together and Emma watched as Regina drifted off to sleep. She smiled to herself as she realised she hadn't felt this happy in a long time.
~~
"Mom!" Henry called for his mother several times before walking into her room.
"Mom, where have you been? You were away for two days. Grandma had to look after me because you never came home. She said you were in hospital!" The teenager gabbled, as Emma rolled over to face him. She'd been up early, trying to calm Regina's night terrors, before she decided to come home to see Henry get back from school.
"Sorry, kid! It was the... umm.. a woman. She was hurt, while at the station and was in a coma. I had to wait for her to wake up, then I had to take her home and make sure she was okay." Henry looked at her - suspicious.
"We know almost everyone in town," he stated, "Who was it?" Emma sighed.
"It was no one, kid. Don't worry about it."
"Mom! I know when you're lying! Tell me the truth!" Henry pushed. Emma sighed again.
"It was the Mayor... Regina." She waited patiently for some sort of reaction from Henry, but he just stood there.
"Is... is she okay?" He asked trying not to seem affected by the name.
"She is now, Henry. She's fine." Emma looked at her sons emotionless face, wondering why he wasn't reacting.
"Henry. I know who she is. You can talk to me. It wasn't her fault she was in a coma. It wasn't because she's.... ill." Emma waited again. Henry looked up at her and shook his head.
"I don't want to talk about her anymore." He left the room and Emma heard his door slam. She lay there confused. There was such hatrid in the way he said 'her' and it made her curious to know why. What had he been told? What had his childhood really been like?