Chapter 20

Once I headed out of the clinic I headed towards the hall where I knew everyone would be. I could smell the porridge and my stomach grumbled, reminding me I hadn't had anything to eat since yesterday. When I opened the door, I was buffeted by a gust of warm air and sighed in contentment. I saw Akashi instantly; my eyes as always were drawn to him. He was sitting beside Aomine and as I moved closer I could hear him telling them about his sickness.

"In all honesty, I can't really remember what happened. I recall going outside because I felt hot and the next thing I knew I was waking up at the clinic with Kuroko."

"Talking about Kuroko, is he"-

"Hey guys."

I interrupted Kagami and everyone looked up at me, surprised to see me smiling as I slid in next to Akashi. I kissed his cheek and everyone was even more shocked.

"Man, I'm hungry."

"Let me get you a bowl, I will be right back."

I smiled up at Akashi and waited until he was out of earshot before turning to the rest of the table.

"He doesn't know what he did last night and I want to keep it that way."

"You're not telling him? How can we keep that a secret?"

Aomine reached over and pushed back the sleeve on my shirt to expose my bruised wrist. I scowled at him, snatching my hand away and covering the mark.

"He doesn't know what he did and I want to keep it that way. Whatever it was it wasn't him. He was sick."

Everyone seemed uncomfortable and I could see that Akashi was on his way back.

"Please, I don't want him feeling responsible or hating himself."

"We will Kurokocchi but if he hurts you again we will interfere."

"Thank you."

Akashi slid back beside Aomine and I, handing me a bowl of porridge with plenty of milk.

"So I hope everything is okay and I didn't do anything embarrassing for you two."

"No, nothing embarrassing. No harm no foul," Kagami's eyes bore into mine as he said that but I concentred on my food. I jumped a little when I felt Akashi put his hand on my leg.

"Maybe you were hallucinating because of that fever. It was pretty high."

As they got to talking about what could have caused his fever and feinting I finished my food and stifled a yawn.

"Still tired Tetsuya?"

I nodded my head, covering another yawn and Akashi laughed.

"Let's get you home. I will see you guys later."

He stood up, helping me to my feet but at the same time Kagami and Momoi got to their feet, a worried look in their eyes.

"Could you let Kuroko sleep and come and help me gather more fire wood? We used a fair bit up last night."

"OF course, you know there aren't any infected out there its too cold for them to function. Just let me get him home first I will see you in an hour."

"But," I could see Akashi beginning to get annoyed with Kagami so I stepped forward and linked my arm through his.

"You can have him in an hour."

Kagami turned his dark eyes to mine and I could see he didn't trust Akashi.

Its fine.

I mouthed, wishing he would step down. I could almost taste the anger radiating from Akashi as he must be wondering why they were so intent on not letting us be alone together. Waving to the others I tugged Akashi back outside. The moment the cold air hit us he let out a breath and his shoulders relaxed.