Chapter 45

I looked at the moon from my seat beside the large window. Glancing back towards the kitchen I could see Midorima sitting down at the table talking to Mayuzumi. They kept glancing at the door, their faces concerned.

Akashi hadn't returned from his patrol.

He was fine, I was sure he was. If something had happened to him I was sure I would have felt it. still looking out the window I scratched my arm around the spot where a needle was inserted inside of me. Midorima had come to give me some more blood. When I looked at the holes in my arm the reality of what was happening to me became too real.

I heard the door open and spun but the joy faded away when I saw it was just Momoi and Aomine. They were smiling but when they saw me the smiles faded and their eyes flickered away from me. They moved over to talk to Mayuzumi. Whatever they said had him rearing back, his eyes blazing with anger. Midorima glanced up at them, his eyes wide with shock."

"You dare!"

"What's going on?"

My two closest friends wouldn't meet my gaze and I could see Momoi's shoulders were trembling. I pulled myself painfully to my feet, my knees shaking from the effort of keeping me standing up.

"Mo-mo?"

"Don't call me that!"

She threw the words at me harshly and I clung to the chair to keep myself up straight. I had never heard her use that tone before. Not even when she had been enraged with Akashi. When she finally met my gaze, I could see tears in her eyes. I took a few shaky steps forward, clinging onto the stand that held the blood bag.

"What's wrong?"

"You need to sit down."

Mayuzumi moved towards me, putting his arm around and trying to move me over to the chair but I shook my head and looked back towards the two that hadn't left the kitchen. Midorima's dark ringed eyes were still wide as he looked at them.

"Why can't I call you Mo-Mo? You wanted to be called aunt"-

"Don't!"

Again, the pain was in her voice and she was shaking her head, hands over her ears. I looked at Aomine to see his face was scrunched up in pain, his eyes red.

"I don't want to be called an aunt of a monster!"

I clutched my stomach as her words sunk in.

Monster?

She had been excited, albeit confused, about being an aunt. Aomine had also said he would stay by my side, to help both of us.

"We can't stand by and watch that thing kill you Tetsu."

I turned my confused face to Aomine who met my gaze, his dark eyes pained.

"N-no, it's not like that. She doesn't know what she's doing. We are working on it. Tell them Midorima!"

I looked to the emerald haired doctor but he avoided my gaze.

"I've done everything. There's nothing I can do to save you."

I felt as if the floor was falling out from beneath me. I staggered and dropped to my knees, my breathing coming in shocked gasps.

"Kuroko!"

Mayuzumi dropped down beside me, gripping my shoulders, trying to shake me out of my shock. Momoi had taken a step forward but Aomine had stopped her, gripping her arm as he looked away from me on my knees as I stared up at them pitifully. They had been my support, two of my strongest supporters for having this child. Now what?"