Chapter 29

"Kuroko, you can't!"

"No!"

I ignored my friends' arguments and kept my gaze fixed on Nash. The smug look was gone from his face to be replaced with shock and anger.

There. I thought.

If you kill him you kill me too.

Quickly I turned to Izuki and whispered my idea. His eyes widened and he nodded, grabbing Hyuga and heading off in the crowd.

"Kuroko, not for me! Nash, I don't want his help!"

Kiyoshi turned to beg the golden-haired commander but I could see him grit his teeth.

"It is his choice."

He spat out the words as if they left a foul taste in his mouth. He turned his burning eyes back to mine and I couldn't help but let a small smile appear on my face.

Checkmate.

"What are you doing?"

Riko gripped my arm and whispered into my ear as we watched one of the soldiers move away from Nash to come and escort me to the entrance.

"If you do this you could die! If not, if you survive what happens if he learns your secret?"

"I won't die. I can sense them remember?"

I said tapping the side of my head.

Her eyes widened as she remembered my abilities just as the soldier reached me. I let him lead me away as I looked over my shoulder at my friend who was standing along, wringing her hands in worry.

"I will get him out of there, I promise."

As I walked through the crowd I was greeted by nods and pats on my head and shoulder. I could see the relief on the faces of everyone around. Most of them knew Kiyoshi and what a good man he was. I could see the fear for us in their eyes as well.

We reached the gate and the soldier opened it for me, locking it behind me as I stepped through. I rushed over to Kiyoshi and used the sleeves of my jacket to wipe down his bloodied face.

"You fool! You shouldn't be here!"

"I can get you through this safely. Once we escape we are innocent, remember? Then we leave this hell hole, together."

His eyes softened at my words and he shook his head.

"I should argue more but I am glad you are by my side."

I felt my heart clench at his words and looked down.

"It's because you're by my side that you are in this position in the first place."

"What do you mean?"

Before I could answer I heard Nash call for attention. We looked up to see him glance down at us, anger in every line of his body.

"The second has taken his place. If you make it out you are both proven innocent. Let the judgement begin!"

I put my arm around Kiyoshi's waist and stood still as we heard the gates open. I closed my eyes, not moving as I listened and sent my mind out, sensing for the undead.

"This way!"

I headed straight in, Kiyoshi's weight bearing down on me. He was injured more than I thought, his left leg trailing uselessly behind him.

The maze itself really felt frightening. Only a small amount of torch light made its way down to where we were trapped. Adding in the only sound was that of our breathing and the groans and moans from the undead and I felt myself beginning to sweat.