Chapter 53

I woke up and rolled over into a cold patch on the bed. Sitting up I ruffled my messy hair and looked at the empty place beside me. yet again Akashi was gone. I stuck my bottom lip out and hugged my knees. That made every day this week that he had been gone before I woke up. casting my senses out I felt the familiar throbbing of my head and I was shocked at the amount of infected that were nearby. As if seconding my thought, the alarm bell began to ring. I slipped out of bed, holding my stomach and shuffling to the bathroom to quickly get ready.

When I was changed I waddled out of the room and slipped my shoes into my boots, glad that they didn't require me to bend down to tie them up. I was surprised at how the littlest things, like bending, had become almost impossible for me.

I opened the door and was surprised to see Kise was standing in front of me, blocking the door way. More shocking was the spear in his hand as he stared at the small group of people before him. As soon as they saw me they began to shout, their faces twisted in anger and fear.

"It's all his fault!"

"They are only here because of him!"

"He should leave!"

"It's not natural!"

"He isn't human!"

I flinched as if the words were blows. Trembling I stepped back as Kise moved forward. Normally he was so carefree, a smile plastered on his face but as he moved towards the men and women screaming at me his face was like stone as his sunflower eyes blazed.

"You dare! It is only because of Kurokocchi that you are safe! It is only because he came to this place are you free of Nash's rule! Because of him we came and turned this hole into a peaceful and prosperous settlement! You want him gone? You do that and you will lose everything! We will take the meat we have gathered. Destroy buildings we fixed. Take the weapons that we taught you to make! I will personally burn down the fields and sow them with salt if you dare touch him!"

"You wouldn't!"

One of the men shouted back but I could see the doubt and fear in the others' eyes. I had never seen Kise so mad or so dark before. I should stop him but I couldn't make my feet move. I was routed to the spot as the words echoed around in my head. Kise made to move closer, his spear gripped tightly in his hand but then Kasamatsu appeared and kicked the back of his knees. The blonde stumbled and turned a growl ripping through his throat but when he saw who it was the scary look on his face was gone and he sighed.

"Sorry Yuki."

"Go inside. You are here to look after Kuroko. As for you lot."

The small dark-haired man turned to the small mob in front of him, hands on his hips.

"Those alarm bells are not a drill. You should be at the gate and helping with the defences."

He turned away and then as if he had an afterthought he turned back towards them, a neutral look on his face.

"Oh, and by the way, everything Kise said was right. If you idiots pull something like this again then all of us councillors will sit back and see how well you do by yourself. We won't lift a finger, even if that gate is breached."

When Kise had said it in a rage, it had been frightening but will Kasamatsu delivering it in such a matter of fact way I saw the mob pale as they truly began to understand how much their actions could cost them. As one they turned and rushed away, none looking back.

"Kurokocchi, you should get inside. I bet you haven't had any breakfast, luckily by and Mursakicchi gave me these! He calls them turnovers and he made you a cup of that vanilla coffee you like so much."