Chapter 26

"An army platoon arrived not long after you left. They looked like hell and they were new blood. The commander might be about our age. He said that they had been enlisted by an original platoon but before long they died out or retired leaving this young man in charge. His name is Nash Gold. His father was the one who trained him."

We had moved onto the living room that had nice warm fire roaring in the hearth and we were give warm cups of fresh coffee. I had never tasted something so delicious and these simple comforts had brought tears to my eyes. Hyuga was leaning against the wall explaining what had happened while Riko was checking Kiyoshi's wound.

"I heard stories about General Gold. He kept things together in one of the large army camps when everything threatened to fall apart. He's a hero."

"He was. According to Nash his father feel ill and passed away a few years ago. It is clear however that his son is not the same type of man as his father. Nash is cruel and sadist. When they came to the compound they were all smiles and we were glad for some new fighters. They even had guns and plenty of ammunition. Things were looking up. We didn't see what they were doing behind their smiles. They slowly infiltrated the building were the scientists were working. It is the most fortified place here. If the walls should fail they could hold up there for years. Nash himself has some training and he slipped into the research and learned all he could from them. That's when they made their move. They took control and made their own rules. Curfews were put into effect, food was rationed out as they saw fit and they demanded women for their enjoyment."

Kiyoshi swore under his breath and in my mind's eye I saw the men who had attacked me the night before Akashi had freed me. I shivered and Kiyoshi reached over to hold my hand, his eyes full of pity.

"Riko?"

The short haired woman shook her head.

"They aren't interested in me. I'm one of the few medics left."

"What do you mean? What happened to the scientist?"

Kiyoshi was shocked but I recognised the look of dread in the eyes of the others in the room. I knew what mankind was capable of when they wanted power. Humanity took a back seat with people like that.

"He had them killed, didn't he?"

Hyuga met my gaze, his mouth set in a grim line and nodded.

"We rebelled against them of course and he punished some of us. Whippings, beatings and putting us in the stocks that he had made up."

My stomach dropped and I flinched as I recalled each blow that I had received and began to panic. Kiyoshi's hand tightened on mine as I tried to calm myself down.

"Apparently, the scientists argued against Gold's methods. They were too cruel. He would torture the undead specimens he caught, testing poisons on them or simply cutting into them simply for the joy he gained from it. He had also begun taking test subjects from those that disobeyed him. After we tried to overthrow them he had all the scientists crucified and left out in the snow. We watched them starve and freeze to death. Their bodies are still handing in front of the gates to the main building."

"Why didn't you tell the doctor any of this?"

"Nash controls all communications leaving this place and coming in. Same with the people. He probably already knows about your arrival."

Silence followed Hyuga's words and I looked down into the warm tea in front of me. Suddenly I didn't want to drink. Nobody said the words but we were all thinking it. This was no safe haven for me. Not when the lead scientist was crazy and would most likely hurt me rather than help.