12

Serenity 🌸

" Look it's you."

He looks over at the cage of monkeys that are politely just sitting there and staring back at all these tourists/ visitors. The zoo was my idea because I haven't been to one in god knows how long.

The last time I recall going was when I was 10 years old, when my parents were alive and living. I remember that day so clearly. Momma was packing lunches for us to eat there because April couldn't eat anything with peanut oil in it. She's allergic. We didn't want to take the chance of her having an allergic reaction to something. By the time we left my prepubescent self was excited to go see my favorite animal. The elephants.

It was something about them that I was just so obsessed with them. Sometimes you could see a person happily painting them in honor of some religious thing. I never understood it though. But I do know that the person only comes every once and a while. That's only back in Chicago, maybe they don't do that here.

All I know is I had so much fun that day. It was filled with laughters and jokes, even got a souvenir. By the end of the day I was worn out. Tired from walking and tired from sight seeing the animals. My daddy had to carry me back to the car. April though, she wanted to stay and see the lights pop on at night. She knew that they would look pretty when they did. I'll never forget that day, because that was one of the best memories of my childhood.

" Oh so you got jokes now huh?" He nudges me hard enough for me to stumble a little. When I regain my balance he obviously thinks it's funny. Nothing is funny.

I look back up at him with a straight face, " Okay now you reaching too far."

" I'll reach my hand down to that pu-"

" We are in a public place full of kids. Stop and watch your mouth!"

Mateo sucks his teeth and sighs heavily. We start to walk again to the next exhibit on the map. The inside of the butterfly exhibit. Aww.

" I'm surprised they don't notice me." He shrugs. We pass a concession stand full of kids and teens with their mothers. But when they catch eye on me and Mateo all hell breaks loose.

" Oh My God! It's Mateo! Ahhh!"

One by one they each start running over. I stand back and let them do their thing. By the time Mateo could act quickly there was a whole crowd of people forming around him. Questions are being throwed and bombarded to him. I place my head down to the ground and smile with my hands behind my back. Security comes running up to the crowd pushing them and yelling them to move. Mateo tells them that it's okay. They take a step back and watch each fan closely. This is something I don't miss.

" Mateo Mateo! Can you sign my shirt!"

" Bro can you teach me how to reverse?"

" My mommy says you inspired her when she was young. She a dancer!"

" Sign my titties?"

The last one made my head look up. There she was pulling her shirt down for him to access them. Who's little teenage horny girl is this? Where he mother at? Let me catch Milan doing some shit like this when she older. Mateo signs them and the girl excitedly grabs him into a hug and he awkwardly hugs her back. Good boy.