Chapter 16

"Rick?" She asked, wandering into my garage.

"Hmm?" I replied, moving the face mask up.

"Why have you been so kind to me lately? Judging by my grandfathers stories, you aren't ever this nice to anyone... why me?"

"You've had enough shit go on in your life, why would I want to add onto that?" I replied.

"Oh..." she replied, obviously that's not what she wanted to hear.

"Plus, I love you." I smirked, watching her eyes glisten with joy.

I did love her, I do love her, but with BP being a robot now, things aren't going to be the same.  I know, I should just enjoy what I have right now, but I need to stop doing things for me. I have to.

"Uhm, Beth said foods ready." She said with a blush.

I sighed and nodded, placing the mask on the table, and walked towards her.

"What were you working on?" She asked as I stood with little space between us.

"Upgrading weapons and stuff." I shrugged, placing my hands on her shoulders. "Nothing you need to worry your pretty little self about."

"Of course I need to worry!" She said, grabbing onto my shoulders. "After the whole thing with that bird robot guy, you've been really distant. You try to cover it, but you forget who I am, don't you?"

"(Y/N)-"

"Rick." She said sternly.

"I need to save my best friend." I sighed. "It might even be me risking my life for him, but..."

"Just promise me you'll come back." She said.

"I can't-"

"You will come back. I know you will. If you don't I'll go crazy, and maybe even kill death himself." She smirked. "You aren't leaving me behind."

"Alright, alright." I chuckled. "Let's go get some food."

We let go of each other, and walked to the dinning area, to see the family laughing together. (Y/N) smiled at the sight, only for her smile to fade as Morty death glared her.

She shook her head with a sigh, and sat at the table. Morty rolled his eyes and continued eating the pizza, as Beth handed (Y/N) a slice. She thanked her, and began eating as well.

I smiled and also began eating, only for Morty to slam his fists on the table.

"After all I've done for you, this is how you treat me?!" He yelled at me. "I've tried to ignore the fact that some random girl you just met has replaced me, but it's so hard to do when you're gone every hour of every day!

"You aren't even home for dinner anymore!" He cried angrily. "What did I do for oh to hate me Rick?!"

"Morty, She hasn't replaced you." I sighed. "And I'm sorry I'm not around as often anymore... being away for so long messed me up as well, okay? I never thought I'd find love after Beth's mom, but I did Morty.

"Why are you being so selfish? I've been trying to hard to hide this from you, my problems don't need to become your problems, but apparently you've forced it out of me or something.

"I need to go to war against Bird Person, rather Phoenix Person."

Beth gasped. "Dad-"

"I'm sorry Beth, I'm sorry I'm leaving again. I won't abandon you, or anyone every again, but I need to protect you all."

"Rick-" (Y/N) said, her eyes beginning to water. "Rick you can't... please at least let me-"

"No." I shook my head. "This is my fight, not yours."

"Rick I'm sorry." Morty said quietly.

"It's alright, my hormonal teenage Morty." I smiled.

Summer shrugged and continued playing on her phone. At least she can live a normal life with or without me...

"I'm going to go prepare. You all have a goodnight, and I'll say goodbye in the morning."