Chapter 20

"Hey, Rick?" Summer asked walking into the dinning room.

"Hmm?" He replied, his mouth full of cereal.

"Can I have a party here tonight ?" She asked. "And could you invite your friends too? Everyone had a great time last time."

Rick shrugged and looked at me. "You okay with that?"

"Sure." I replied, taking a bite of my cereal. "Why does it matter if I wanted it or not? It's your house... Besides, I could just walk to my house."

"I wouldn't want to do something you wouldn't like, (Y/N)." He stated, downing rest of the remaining milk (I swear to God if somebody mentions a certain fan fiction I'm going to scream).

"But it's-"

"Who cares?" He cut me off. "You're the guest, and the guest is needs to state whatever is troubling them, so the people can fix it."

"Rick-"

"Grandpa, leave her alone." Summer scoffed. "She just wanted to be nice."

Rick rolled his eyes as he stood up, and walked into the kitchen. I looked up at her and shrugged, and she sighed.

"Don't hold it against him. If anything, he thinks so highly of you that he hates anybody saying anything bad about you. Including yourself."

I smiled. "You think so?"

"I've never seen him look at anything in that way, and the way he defends you is more than he does for Morty, Beth, and Me combined."

I mouthed 'wow' as I took another spoon full of my cereal, only to get milk. Summer laughed, and I looked down. I had finished eating and I hadn't realized it, or somebody stole my food. But what are the chances of that?

Whatever happened, I stood up with my bowl and spoon, and walked to the kitchen. Rick stood there, gazing out the window as if he was unsure of what to do. I cleared my threat and he looked over.

"You... okay?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes and walked into the garage. I sighed while placing the bowl in the sink, and began walking towards the closed door, leading to his lab. I knocked, and walked in. He was mid-stance of grabbing a drink from one of his cabinets.

"Rick, you can talk to me." I said, causing him to sigh and shut the cabinet.

He looked at me, and then to the floor, shoving his hands into his pockets. He closed his eyes.

"It's just..." he paused with a large exhale, "I want to be someone you know will be there for you. It seems like everything I do just pushes you further, and further away. I don't know what to do anymore..."

"Well for starters, you have to talk to me when your having an issue. I don't want to have to come in here and see a pile of empty beer bottles lying around. Second, Rick you already are." He looked up at me surprised. "You may not know it, but I've lost my trust in basically everyone. My grandfather was the only one I could depend on, so I shut him out, waiting for him to break my trust.

"I hate being vulnerable, I want to be strong, I want to help you... But I can't. I can't because you're so much better than me, and I don't want you to think of me as a weak girl who's a burden on you..."

"I don't." He said, wiping the tears off my face I didn't even know I had. "You are the smartest, bravest, strongest person I've ever met. I know most times you can handle a situation, but you never know when it could go wrong. I want you to know, that I will always be there to save you.

"If I'm going to be completely honest, I don't want to make you feel weak. I've never wanted to do that to you. I just don't want to push you away, and yet I don't want you to get harmed because of me..."

"Rick-"

"Shh." He said, wrapping me in an embrace.

"Rick-"

He sighed and let me go, looking up to see a nearly crying Summer in the doorway.

"That was... so beautiful..." she said, tears now falling down her face.

Rick shook his head with a slight chuckle.

"I-I'll go invite some people for the party." She said, pulling out her phone and walking away.

"Rick please, if you ever have a problem, or if I did something wrong-"

"I'll tell you." He said, lifting my chin up, causing me to meet his eyes. "You sure you want the party still?"

I nodded my head. "As long as you're staying with me, then fine..." I sighed. "I've never been to a party before..."

He smirked. "This is going to be fun, so long as you stay by my side, Princess..."